Find the answer to your Linux question:
I attempted to install an HP DeskJet 710C printer on Mandrake using the Mandrake Control Center. It automatically detected the printer accurately, downloaded some packages and began configuring the printer. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 - Trouble installing HP Deskjet 710C

I attempted to install an HP DeskJet 710C printer on Mandrake using the Mandrake Control Center. It automatically detected the printer accurately, downloaded some packages and began configuring the printer. But it then ends with the following message:

Failed to configure printer "HPDeskJet710C"!

It doesn't tell me why. When I attempt to install the printer again, it doesn't download any of the packages, but fairly quickly identifies the printer, waits a while to open the printer port for "CUPS" and then gives me the same error.

Any idea whats wrong?

So your printer is recognized...I assume that you're unable to print with it?

Somewhere in the menu should be the option to run the CUPS application. Run it, and log in (Username is "root" and password is the root password). Then take a look at your printer and see if it is Enabled or not. If it's not, try Enabling it.

If that doesn't work, then click "Configure" and see if you can do it manually.

That's all I can think of. Unless you somehow disabled something important in your kernel. But I'm not sure what it would be...

Just Joined!
    Because the printer installation fails, the printer isn't listed....if I attempt to manually install the printer, instead of having the printer automatically detected, the installation still fails.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close