Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm using Mandrake 10, and I'm having some issues getting my sblive! card to work.. i've noticed quite a bit of other people have had the same problems, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

another Sblive! problem... Gateway cheapo OEM card

Hi there, I'm using Mandrake 10, and I'm having some issues getting my sblive! card to work.. i've noticed quite a bit of other people have had the same problems, and some of those people have yet to come to a resolution..

mandrake autodetects my soundcard and uses the snd-emu10k1 driver by default.. as some of you may know, this module uses the ALSA sound system.. therefore, configures KDE to use ALSA, in which my system hangs when KDE starts up.. I have to kill the artsd daemon to even get into KDE...

after that point, I saw that some people I read about in the forums had the Gateway Sblive OEM card that uses a different, supposedly unsupported (by linux) chipset..

I tried messing with the mixer settings countlessly, and I don't use a digital output so the emu10k1-tools, and the alsamixer were pretty useless..

then I changed the module my soundcard was using to the generic emu10k1.o module.. which uses the OSS sound system by default.. so it changed my KDE settings, and when KDE loads, it merely states that it can't find /dev/dsp, as it does not exist.. and there's nothing for /dev/dsp to link TO.. no actual device for it to link to.. so obviously the emu10k1 module, with OSS does not work either..

is this card screwed as far as getting it to work under linux?? or has anyone with one of these Gateway Sblive cards, found a solution?? thanks for your time

I can't help directly, but this link might give you something useful to play with http://www.linux.com/howtos/Alsa-sound-7.shtml

Seems that a lot of people are indeed having trouble with this. I hope you sort it out soon ...

amixer set -c 1 Master 70 unmute
    amixer set -c 1 PCM 70 unmute
    amixer set -c 1 CD 70 unmute

seem like an interesting set of commands to try out. Maybe worth rebooting afterwards.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso