Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I am a bit of a command line junkie, so what I'm about to ask isn't about the actual commands for compiling... I am running Mdk10.1 and have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Compiling on Mandrake

Hi Guys,

I am a bit of a command line junkie, so what I'm about to ask isn't about the actual commands for compiling...

I am running Mdk10.1 and have been running Mdk since 9.0 on my Inspiron8500 notebook. However when it comes to compiling it never goes smoothly. The rest of my system is well configured and tund to my box, but I have probably only ever installed from source once successfully. I understand the usual
    Code:
    ./configure && make && make install
    but I always have errors saying I'm missing this that or the other. Is there prerequisite programs that should be there? I have gcc and the usual libraries (I think), and if I remember correctly I chose the developer option to include during install. Can anyone help?

I know this is vague, but these errors are so frequent and consistent in not working that I figure there must be something obvious in the config.

Can anyone help?

Linux Guru
    All configure does is make sure you have the correct tools installed for make to work properly. Make compiles everything and make install installs the binaries that make compiled. If you're getting errors in ./configure, simply install the missing packages.

Feel free to post some of your errors here and we can be more specific.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Really and truly, it depends on what error you are getting. If you could post the error(s) (esp. if they are the same every time...), we could more aptly guide you to fixing your problem.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Cheers for the replies guys, I'll try a compile later if I get a chance and post some of the output. :o

Just Joined!
    Hi. I'm new to the forum and Linux as well. I've read a few FAQs and how-tos (including the one here on linuxforums), but I've been experiencing a similar problem with Mandrake 10.1 and can't seem to find a resolution. I'm admittedly a complete newb when it comes to Linux, though. I'm trying to compile a MUD driver (MudOS with Lima 1.0b5 mudlib) and have followed the directions included with it but am running into some trouble.

Code:
    ./build.MudOS
    Preparing to build standard MudOS driver ...
    Trying out some stuff to see what works; ignore errors ...
    Using standard a.out for compiler default executable
    gmake: Nothing to be done for `nothing'.
    ./build.MudOS: line 193: xlc: command not found
    mkdir: cannot create directory `tmp': File exists
    install: invalid option -- f
    Try `install --help' for more information.
    rm: cannot remove `tmp/insttest': No such file or directory
    ./build.MudOS: line 330: bison: command not found
    ./build.MudOS: line 334: byacc: command not found
    ./build.MudOS: line 338: yacc: command not found
    FATAL ERROR: Could not find bison or yacc.
    And when I try to use make:

Code:
    make install
    yacc -d make_func.y
    make: yacc: Command not found
    make: *** [make_func.tab.c] Error 127
    All of the above was done in KDE's Konsole (not sure if this makes a difference). Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I figured out the problem. Despite selecting the developers tools during installation, it doesn't look like it installed it. I ended up using urpmi at the command line and downloading bison from one of USC's ftp sites. Everything compiled just fine now.

I know this is months later, but in case anyone else finds they have this problem...I was compiling one or two apps that seemed to have more intuitive configure scripts, and it seems I needed SDL > 1.20installed, and also NASM. After delving a bit deeper it seems a lot of the stuff I was compiling was looking for SDL, so things are going a lot better now. Cheers anyway!