Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello guys, first of all thanks very very much. I'm a complete newbie and I had much problem with configuration of usb flash memory, and by reading this forum I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

firewall configuration

hello guys,
    first of all thanks very very much. I'm a complete newbie and I had much problem with configuration of usb flash memory, and by reading this forum I find how to make it work.
    Now I have another doubt: in fact I want to configure a firewall for my pc. I read many posts in the security forum but I'm not yet sure. Is a firewall REALLY important in Linux? what feature I have to select in Mandrake configuration??

thanks

Linux Newbie
    Unless you really need a extra firewall don't bother. A firewall is built into the OS and on top of that if you have a broadband router it acts as one also. So unless you are a freak about security or need it for work reasons I would say you don't really need a extra firewall. If would like look at Shorewall would be your choice of a firewall.
    Squid would be your choice for a proxy.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

Linux Guru
    Well, DaemonOS is mostly correct. However, even though the default MDK config comes with a firewall (Shorewall), it's not on by default unless you told it to be on during installation. To easily set it up, go to MCC > Security > Firewall. This will start a wizard that will let you decide your level of security, open ports, etc...

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    Yes but you can also use shorewall as a independent firewall. Firewall belongs to the kernel version. Their are many other firewalls you can sub. I am using the Mandrake's network firewall on a IBM 486 and is fits my needs. Stand alone firewall/proxy are good things..
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato