Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Mandrake 10.1 for a month ago on my Aopen notebook, and i'm quite pleased with the result. apart from the fact that the cpu-preformance is way less than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bad cpu preformace on my laptop

I installed Mandrake 10.1 for a month ago on my Aopen notebook, and i'm quite pleased with the result. apart from the fact that the cpu-preformance is way less than it should be. in the system configuration it detects 598 Mhz, allthough i have a 1,7 Ghz (intel cel.) prossessor. I'm suspecting that the ACPI is causing this, as it seems my laptop is running in battery mode even when it's pluged in.

if i force the computer to run on maximum cpu even when it is in battery mode (in the BIOS setup), it weighs in at 1695 Mhz in the cpu detection, but i don't know if this is advisable in the long run. could this be harmful for the computer? does anyone know a better alternative to achieve the proper cpu performace?

-gisle-

Linux Engineer
    I dont know why it would be harmfull!
    Desktop PC always run on max power...
    Apart for the fact that the power managment will be turned off even if on battery, there is no reason why you whouldnt do this
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

You could always leave it set to run on full in the BIOS and use performance profiles in KLaptop, it can throttle down your CPU to your desired level according to whether or not it's plugged in.

It should still detect the acpi state even if your BIOS is told to run at full speed. Make sure you run the helper application from the KLaptop config, or make the /proc/acpi scripts all writable by everyone.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If you suspect that the problem is related to ACPI, turn it off by editing your /etc/lilo/conf file to read ACPI=off. Remember to run the lilo -v command to write the changes. If you fire it up and the problem is gone, then you know ACPI is the culprit. If it's not gone, strike that from the list.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    jeremy:

I did what you said, and now it starts with full cpu when powered with AC, and runs at 598 MHz when i start it with battery. without tampering with the BIOS, great!

what do i lose by switching the acpi to off, anyway? it still detected how much battery time i have left, doesn't it? it seems to good to be true that there are no catch to this!

-gisle

Linux Guru
    You won't have use of any suspend or hibernate features. I don' think you'll have control over CPU throttling either, it'll be up to the BIOS.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    ok, i don't really need that.. it crashed completly when i tried hibernate. eventually i had to remove the battery to shut it down!

thanks for all the help

-gisle-