Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I've been trying to install several apps, such as firefox and apache. But here's the deal: according to every tutorial, all i have to do is uncompress and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

./ problems

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to install several apps, such as firefox and apache. But here's the deal: according to every tutorial, all i have to do is uncompress and then ./ and the name of the file. But i get this error: "./whatever: permission denied". I googled the problem last night and i couldn't find a bit of info on how to get this fixed. You guys surely know so let me know too. Thanks in advanced.

Linux Enthusiast
    If you are compiling these apps do:
    Code:
    cd <dirname>
    ./configure --<config-options>
    make
    make install

Ok, for instance, i went into the apache directory and typed:
    Code:
    &#91;root@00e0295c9f23 httpd-2.0.52&#93;# ./configure
    bash&#58; ./configure&#58; /bin/sh&#58; bad interpreter&#58; Permission denied
    I get the following error:
    Code:
    bash&#58; ./configure&#58; /bin/sh&#58; bad interpreter&#58; Permission denied
    I already tried the /bash/sh and i get the same thing. Something must be wrong with my commands cause i remember last time i installed it was like in medium security and that's the only thing i did different. Any other ideas?

Looks like either /bin/sh is corrupt or you haven't got execute rights to this.

Code:
    chmod ug+rx /bin/sh
    That should be the minmum to ensure that you can run it. If it is corrupt however you may need to do some messing around, try using /bin/bash or /bin/zsh.

Ok i'm gonna try that, i'll let you know soon how it went. Thanks a lot man!

And just to clarify, i'm running this commands as root. I've always have.

Hi, i typed that thing you told me and i get the same result. Here's what i typed and the result too:
    Code:
    &#91;root@00e0295c9f23 punisher&#93;# chmod ug+rx /bin/sh
    &#91;root@00e0295c9f23 punisher&#93;#
    Code:
    &#91;root@00e0295c9f23 firefox-installer&#93;# ./firefox-installer
    bash&#58; ./firefox-installer&#58; /bin/sh&#58; bad interpreter&#58; Permission denied
    What can i do? I know this is like the common way to install things, if i can't get it done this way, then....?

I ended up googling the problem and i read that this command gave a bit of info about /bin/sh:
    Code:
    &#91;root@00e0295c9f23 firefox-installer&#93;# ls -l /bin/sh
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Jan 14 13&#58;27 /bin/sh -> bash*
    Hope it helps you get a better idea of what could be wrong.

Forget all this, i just passed the directory extracted to /usr and ran "[root@00e0295c9f23 firefox-installer]# ./firefox-installer" and i got the installation wizard running. Go figure......