Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm new to Linux and I'm having trouble getting my cable internet connection going. I am using a LinkSys router between the cable modem and the PC. Using 10.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ethernet connection problem

Hello,

I'm new to Linux and I'm having trouble getting my cable internet connection going. I am using a LinkSys router between the cable modem and the PC. Using 10.1 when I boot I get the error Bringing up eth0: failed. Mandrake seems to have properly detected my onboard ethernet card as a Marvell which is correct.

What should my next step be in trouble shooting?

Thanks for your time.

Linux Guru
    Static or dynamic IP?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    i have the same problem trying to build a LAN with my notebook. My IP is static, i use 192.168.xxx.xxx.
    can you help me??

Just Joined!
    Static IP.

Linux Guru
    Gabe,
    If your IP is static, simply enter the IP in the wizard that is brought up using Mandrake Control Center. Select new connection, then LAN, then static and enter your info. You'll also need to know the IP of your DNS.

Billie Joe, I need more information. Explain your problem in detail. Do you have two NICs? Are you trying to connect to another computer connected to the net?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    it's true, i have read again my post and it isn't very clear...sorry
    i installed mandrake in my pc, and at boot time i get the error "Bringing up eth0: failed" even if i configured it (i have a Realtek 8139) during the installation.
    then i tried to build a simple LAN with my notebook, not trying to share internet connection but simply for data transfer between them. i known i have to use samba for this, but i'm not able to configure and use it
    can you help me?
    Also from my notebook in which i have win XP HE i tried ping <myPC> but it says that "the host is unreachable"

thanks for your time

Just Joined!
    I am having the same problem on a desktop as Gabe is. I don't know if I have a static or dynamic IP. How do I find out?

I can run Knoppix and that is connecting to the internet just fine if that helps. I don't know if I could somehow use info from Knoppix to help set up Mandrake properly.

Thanks for any help.

Just Joined!
    BillnTed, then you have a dynamic ip. Do like jeremy1701 descibes, but since you have a dynamic ip you should enable DHCP, which is a service that feches an ip, gateway, dns, etc. for you every time you boot.

hope that helps.