Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there an easy way to import windows fonts for mandrake 10.1 to use? I have copied my windows fonts folder over but in drakfont I can only select one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WINDOWS FONTS

Is there an easy way to import windows fonts for mandrake 10.1 to use? I have copied my windows fonts folder over but in drakfont I can only select one font at a time.

Linux Engineer

Re: WINDOWS FONTS

Quote Originally Posted by http://linux.org.mt/article/ttfonts
    Copy your fonts

Now, copy all the truetype fonts (*.ttf) that you need into this directory.

If you want to copy the files from the Windows partition, these fonts are normally stored in the windows/fonts directory, or winnt/fonts in the case of Windows NT or 2000.

If you have downloaded fonts as a ZIP file you must use the archiver or the unzip command to extract the font files first. Some self-extracting ZIP executables can also be extracted using the unzip command.
    Telling XWindows about your fonts

Now, enter the following commands in sequence from a terminal window:

cd /usr/local/fonts/ttf
    ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
    mkfontdir

If you view the directory you should now see two new files among the truetype fonts - "fonts.scale" and "fonts.dir". These files simply contain a list with the full font names for each truetype font.

Finally, you have to add the newly set up directory to the list of locations which XWindows will search for fonts.
    If you have chkfontpath

RedHat users can enter the following command to add the directory:

chkfontpath -a /usr/local/fonts/ttf

If you don't have chkfontpath

If you don't have the chkfontpath command, you will have to edit the file /etc/X11/xfs/config (or /etc/X11/fs/config), find the line which starts with "catalog=", and add your directory at the end of the list, separated by a comma.

That's it! You can test it now by running the xfontsel program from the terminal, or run the "Font Selector" program from the Utilities menu in Gnome. You should immediately see the truetype font names in the list of fonts.

In older versions of XWindows you may need to restart the font server for it to register the new fonts. The easiest way to do this is to reboot.
    Adding more fonts

If you add more fonts to the directory you have to re-run the following commands to regenerate the fonts.dir file:

ttmkfdir > fonts.scale
    mkfontdir

You do not have to rerun the chkfontpath command - that is only done when you have a new directory to add.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps