Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello All, I am a very new user of Linux OS. Recently installed Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official with a dual boot Windows XP Pro onto two (2) separate hardisks. Everything seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Computer couldn't shut off automatically.

Hello All,
    I am a very new user of Linux OS. Recently installed Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official with a dual boot Windows XP Pro onto two (2) separate hardisks. Everything seems to be working fine
    after the installation. But the problem was when I halted and powered down Mandrakelinux after I've done, the system did not shut off automatically (just like Windows) instead it still appeared in the screen.
    Anyone who have idea why? Your commends will much appreciated.
    TQ
    Horeddy

Linux Engineer
    it doesnt turn off?
    If you click on start -> logout -> shutdown...
    it will go throu a shutdown process and after (about) 10 second shut down...

Does it do this or not?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    I've got the same problem. The computer used to power down when I halted linux, but ever since I upgraded the motherboard it just says something like "Power down." and waits for me to cut the power. Not that it really makes a difference, since either way I still have to physically turn the power strip off, but I'm kind of curious what could be done about this.

I assume it's some sort of motherboard setting that prevents it from acting on a halt signal, but I toggled something like that in the power management section of my BIOS, and it hasn't helped.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    poweroff -p
    Here is a few comamnd that might help get your OS shuting down...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Hey, thank you guys for your feedbacks.

It seem my pc wouldn't turn off completely even after a while. (more than 20 sec.)

UgoDeschamps,
    Would appreciate if you could show me step-by-step how to insert the code: poweroff -p
    into the OS.

TQ.

Linux Engineer
    simply go into terminal and type the code

Just Joined!
    Typed the code given into the terminal but unfortunately no luck.......

TQ

what do you get with
    Code:
    shutdown
    ?

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    If you get an error message, please be specific

Just Joined!
    Have tried all recommendations you guys had given me.
    Still no luck. My pc just couldn't turn off itself automatically.
    Any other suggestions/ways?
    Horeddy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast