Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do i login to root as there is no option of doing that when i log in. its anoying when i have to keep using su root...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

root login without using su

how do i login to root as there is no option of doing that when i log in. its anoying when i have to keep using su root

Linux Engineer
    you simply type in root as user...
    althou, you must realize, that login in as root, is a very very dangerous thing to do... as you can change whatever settings... you can easily screw your comp big time,... as well as its dangerous for hacking issues as well... if your loged in as root, hacker has the same rights as the session...

What is it that your trying to do that is SO important that you cannot simply type su -password?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    im not as stupid as to destroy my computer but i was just wondering how i could login as root when there is a graphical login where u click usernames not type them.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    you could simply under any active session, type CTRL-ALT-BACK, that will kill X
    then login as root.
    then type startx
    youll be in root session...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

I assume you mean graphically? Because you could always just open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1,2,3,4,5,6) and log in as root...

Also, your graphical login has you click on a profile? Mine lets me type in username and password... There must be someway to switch between the two. I checked out the GDM Configurator and the Control Center and can't figure it out, but there must be some way to do it...

It's hidden by default in Mandrake (Using KDM). You need to mark root as a shown login through either MCC or KDE Control Centre. You will need to click on Administrator mode to make changes, which will prompt you for root login.