Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: wmv file help

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wmv file help

I just installed mandrake 10.1. I am trying to view wmv files. I downloaded Mplayer, unzipped it, ran ./configure ok. When I type make it stops half way through saying two of the directories don't exist. So I tried to get the proper plugins for xine which seems to be part of Kaffine. Forgive me if im wrong I have onlly had linux for a week. I try to compile the xine plugins and they all say im missing zlib. I downloaded 3 zlib rpm files. I click on them and they pop up and say save file or install. I click on install and the window closes nothing happens. I can' t seem to install anything because im always missing something. When I get the things im missing they won't install because im missing five other things and so on. Im wondering how anyone gets anything installed in mandrake. Please help!

Linux Engineer
    Montreal, Canada
    Use rpm's for dependencies, they are way easier to manage...
    after you found the RPM for your need, simply type urpmi /path/tofile/filename

Here's a tutorial on how to set your URPM
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Thanks for your help. I managed to get a few things working. I still have a lot of problems were even the rpm won't intall becuase its missing a package that I just installed before it. I was trying to install zine but I think I got enough of the library files to get it up and running so Im ok.

Maybe you can help me with my screen resolution. My screen always looks blurry and I don't know were to start with that. I have an ati all-in-wonder card and a regular monitor.

Im also looking for a virus checker. I know linux doesn't really have virus problems but Its still possible to pass on infected files if you can't scan them.

4. $spacer_open
    one more question. I want to use my capture card with linux but mandrake won't recognize it. Ati makes drivers for linux but they are for xfree. From what I have found on google it looks like they stoped using xfree for mandrake 10.1. I was wondering if there is a way to get it to work under 10.1 or if im out of luck.

mplayer ships with Mdk 10.1!

It uses a Kaffeine frontend by default but it's definitely there and handles all of my media, doesn't seem to be crippled. It should be on the install disks.