Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I get no sound when running Mandrake 10.1. I ran the update utility last night. I tried running Kmix, but it crashed and gave me error signal 8 (SIGFPE). What ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Sound

I get no sound when running Mandrake 10.1. I ran the update utility last night. I tried running Kmix, but it crashed and gave me error signal 8 (SIGFPE).

What do I do?

Linux Engineer
    What you computer spec, Audio card and MB.
    Whats your kernel version
    also, are you trying to run any application that requires sound when opening kmix?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

same problem here

I (Linux n00b) am having the same problem. I have onboard sound (detected as nForce2 Audio Codec Interface) and it does play neither CDs nor MP3s. I tried installing all kinds of drivers from the Nvidia site, but that doesn't help (I might have done it completely wrong, being a Windows user.) Somebody knows a solution?

To answer Ugo's other questions:
    -I don't know which kernel.
    -I am running KsCD or Amarok when trying to fix the problem.

Another clue: I do hear some clicky sound during bootup and shutdown (when audio driver (?) is started/shut down (?))

Linux Engineer

Re: same problem here

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrakh
    I (Linux n00b) am having the same problem. I have onboard sound (detected as nForce2 Audio Codec Interface) and it does play neither CDs nor MP3s. I tried installing all kinds of drivers from the Nvidia site, but that doesn't help (I might have done it completely wrong, being a Windows user.) Somebody knows a solution?

To answer Ugo's other questions:
    -I don't know which kernel.
    -I am running KsCD or Amarok when trying to fix the problem.

Another clue: I do hear some clicky sound during bootup and shutdown (when audio driver (?) is started/shut down (?))
    KsCD only plays audio cd if a wire is connected directly from the CDROM to the audio card (not like windows) so for playing audio cd, you will need another audio player (i recommend XMMS)

For MP3, depending on your distro, MP3 codec arent always included with the distro for legal purpose

You might want to install XMMS, XMMS-MP3... go here for XMMS
    and here's a link for XMMS-MP3 package,....

Hope this helps
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help! I will try installing XMMS, however I am not sure whether this will help. In the Mandrake config it is possible to test the sound card by pressing a 'test' button but I hear nothing. Do you (or someone else) have other suggestions?

Ruud[/quote]

Linux Engineer
    Thanks for your help! I will try installing XMMS, however I am not sure whether this will help. In the Mandrake config it is possible to test the sound card by pressing a 'test' button but I hear nothing. Do you (or someone else) have other suggestions?

Ruud
    If you run alsamixer under terminal, is everything muted?
    if you run kmix, anything muted too?

Just Joined!

no muted channels

both Kmix and alsamixer show no muted channels

R.

Linux Engineer

Re: no muted channels

both Kmix and alsamixer show no muted channels

R.
    hmmm... mabye you've installed an invalid driver, I have an Nforce chip too, and the default MDK driver are working perfectly.... first, try to un-install the driver, and reconfigure using the MDK default driver

Just Joined!
    I don't know if this is the place for asking stupid questions, but is there a manual somewhere how to uninstall drivers and reconfigure using the MDK default driver? I don't know what an MDK driver is.
    Thanks!

R.

Linux Engineer
    I don't know if this is the place for asking stupid questions, but is there a manual somewhere how to uninstall drivers and reconfigure using the MDK default driver? I don't know what an MDK driver is.
    Thanks!

R.
    The only stupid questions, are unasked one!
    As for the driver, under the mandrake control center, you have a "Hardware" option, where you will be able to setup the audio... simply uninstall whats in there, and reconfigure after...

A reboot might not be nescarrary, but I always tend to reboot after touching configuration like that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast