Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i installed Mnadrake 10.0 on my computer to act as a server. Now i have most of my things working, Apache is running fine (localhost is up), php is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mysql and php problems

Hello,
    i installed Mnadrake 10.0 on my computer to act as a server. Now i have most of my things working, Apache is running fine (localhost is up), php is also working (phpinfo() displays).

But not my problem lies with mysql. It works in the terminal i can use "mysql -u root -p" and it works no problem add ing tables and so forth. But it doens't seem to be configured with php.

I tried a simple "$db = mysql_connect('localhost','user','pw')" and i get an error saying "Fatal Error: Call to function:mysql_connect in ..."

i read the phpinfo() and tried using "urpmi php-mysql" i had to use an installation cd but still nothing.

I went to the control center and looked up the software packages, but none of them seem relevant mysql (besides i believe it's installed properly since it works in the terminal).

Can anyone point in the right direction as to what i should be looking or what i should do...

thanks in advanced
    Steph

I haven't used urpmi, but is it possible that you could try installing php and mod_php from source, and making sure that all mysql functions are enabled, and removing postgres functions and the like to prevent conflicts. I don't know enough php to spot anything wrong with your code or if php requires some initalizer for database connections and the like.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    thanks... i'll try that... but for a second, would you able to tell me why mysql doesn't automatically load went to reboot the computer?

i got it to work last time, then i rebooted and now i dont remember what i did to get it to work.

i keep gettin an Error 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

and i really have no idea how to restart it...

also, i know i'm getting anoying but i'm al inux newbie, if i am able to restart it, is there a way to set to run on boot?

thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close