Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I have a new install of Mandrake 10.1 using the Powerpack CDs which I downloaded. It is the only operating system on the box and I formatted the entire ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 instability

Hi

I have a new install of Mandrake 10.1 using the Powerpack CDs which I downloaded. It is the only operating system on the box and I formatted the entire drive prior to installing, which was running Debian Sarge + KDE happily for several months.

System specs: Shuttle XPC SN45G (NVidia nForce-2 chipset); Athlon XP 2500; 1GB RAM (2x512)

Mandrake installed easily from the CDs and all seemed well, however as the day progressed various KDE applications started to crash with Sig 4 or 11. I've not installed anything other than the CDs at this point, i was just looking around the system, changing the look and feel and so on.

I tried to update the system using URPMI from the commandline, almost every command caused a segmentation fault and from this point the system became totally unstable, crashing to a scrolling console. On restarting the box KDE launched with no menu items. A search turned up that doing update-menus might bring them back, I tried this from Konsole and the box crashed again.

After a couple of reboots I have got KDE and it's menus back again but am still experiencing randomly crashing applications. I have tried to do urpmi --auto-select in the hope that updating the system will help but this segfaults. I don't know a lot about urpmi being used to Debian's apt so there may be something I am not doing correctly.

It seems odd that a totally clean install of a stable version should be behaving so badly, however there were no problems with Debian Sarge on this system so I know that Linux will run on it!

Has anyone else experienced problems such as this with Mandrake, are they likely to be hardware related?

Rachel

Try haveing a little search before you post

Try looking here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-32829.html Martin seems to be haveing simmilar problems;

have fun;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Try haveing a little search before you post

Try looking here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-32829.html Martin seems to be haveing simmilar problems;
    I did read these posts.

It may be the same thing, however the crashing here is any and all KDE applications not limited to one - including KDesktop and these are the default installed packages from the CD install. In addition urpmi is segfaulting if I try to upgrade these. I have set up urmpi using the easy Urpmi form, each took several attempts to add as they would segfault part way through the process.

Rachel

Working on the theory that definitions are important:

http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/s...ion-fault.html

segmentation fault: n.
    [Unix]
    [techspeak] An error in which a running program attempts to access memory not allocated to it and core dumps with a segmentation violation error. This is often caused by improper usage of pointers in the source code, dereferencing a null pointer, or (in C) inadvertently using a non-pointer variable as a pointer. The classic example is:

int i;
    scanf ("%d", i); /* should have used &i */

So maybe a dodgy bit of software. If this is true, then the problem is to identify which software and remove it. Anyone else got an idea on this rather interesting problem?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Guru
    hmmmm... Sounds like the classic nVidia drivers problem. I have an nVidia based MB and was advised by several folks not to install the provided drivers for it. They said it would cause random seg faults.

Also, are you running KDE 3.2 or 3.3?

Could this be your issue?
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    It's KDE 3.2 - the one provided with the Power Pack 10.1 CDs. Late last night I did manage to upgrade the packages using the graphical upgrade tool (URPMI from the commandline still segfaulting). Things still seem to be acting in the same way after the upgrade though.

I haven't installed any specific drivers for the board, Mandrake seemed to recognise the hardware ok. It's possible it is something to do with NVidia board though althoug Debian Sarge was stable on it - running KDE 3.2 and then KDE 3.3 (packages from Testing). I did have the occasional segfault running apt but nothing like this.

I really like the look of Mandrake as a desktop system so I'm ploughing on with it in the hope I can get it stable.

Rachel

Just Joined!
    I've just been looking at the NVidia site and they list Linux drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_archive.html) are these the ones you were advised not to install or is it worth me trying these?

Rachel

Linux Guru
    I've never installed them myself, no need to as my system runs great. Techiemoe was the one who advised against it, and I trust his word. You, on the other hand, seem to be having serious issues. Perhaps you should give it a try.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    I have downloaded and installed the nvidia drivers. I'm using the inbuilt sound and network on the board. I have the network driver working, and this has resolved some of the problems - however the crashing is still occuring, looking at when this happens though I think it is related to sound, and as yet I haven't managed to get the nvsound module to work.

I followed the instructions on the nvidia site to replace the snd-intel8x0 with nvsound. Doing so caused KDE to crash on start-up (KNotify crashed). I switched it back to snd-intel8x0 and on starting up KDE I got a message that KNotify had crashed and did I want to disable aRTs sound output.

In modules.conf there are in addition to the line:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

(which I need to change to nvsound)

2 lines beginning:
    remove snd-intel8x0
    install snd-intel8x0

do I need to replace these for the nvsound module? Is there any other reason why KDE would have issues with nvsound?

Rachel

Just Joined!
    Rachel,

Many times these sort of crashes are related to an improperly seated or bad stick of RAM. The BIOS power-on self test usually won't or can't spot the problem so it reports a full gig of RAM to the OS. Things heat up and the bad stick fails and suddenly applications are trying to access a memory address on the flaky stick which is no longer available. Crash city.

Remove one stick of RAM and test the system. See if you get any errors. Swap the RAM and test again. Be sure to clean out any dust bunnies you find; those little Shuttle boxes need all the cool air they can get.

What does your motherboard use for on-board sound? It may be best to use the snd-intel8x0 driver. I had always assumed that the nvsound was for those few motherboards that implemented Nvidia's SoundStorm audio solution.

HTH,
    Skid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast