Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, linux newbie here. I installed Mandrake 10.1 Official at home, using the lovely guided GUI. Everything went great and it was easy. I came to campus(I'm a grad student) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 no gui at startup..command prompt for login

Hi, linux newbie here.

I installed Mandrake 10.1 Official at home, using the lovely guided GUI. Everything went great and it was easy.

I came to campus(I'm a grad student) and tried to install (w. same CD's) onto my Dell there. The install presented a very primitive GUI this time, (almost DOS-like) and after install, it would startup and present me w. a command prompt for login (No Lovely Mandrake desktop).

It is a Dell Dimension 4500S.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Terry

Linux Engineer
    Type in your user name name, passwrd

then type startx
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 no gui at startup..command prompt for login

Tried the `start x` and got

Data incomplete in file /etc/x11/xorg.conf
    At least one Device selection is required
    Fatal server error no screens found.

I'm thinking that I missed something during my install w. the rough-looking install prompts. Do I need to redo install and do something different, or can I somehow fix some config at this point?

Thanks, Terry

Linux Guru
    Try running drakconf and reconfigure your monitor. It may not have been automatically detected. If you have all of your details it should be easy. Is it a TFT or LCD flatpanel?