Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm hoping that this is something simple that I'm overlooking. I logged on as joe_user and downloaded and extracted version 3.75 to that user's home directory (within X). I opened ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nmap new version can't run as root

I'm hoping that this is something simple that I'm overlooking.
    I logged on as joe_user and downloaded and extracted version 3.75 to that user's home directory (within X). I opened a terminal and su'd to root, entered that directory and ran ./configure && make && make install. I didn't get any errors on install and thought everything was good...except;

When I run nmapfe (or nmap) as that user, I have version 3.75, but limited permissions - when I run the same as root, I'm still at v3.50 with full rights.

root owns /usr/bin/nmap and nmapfe:

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers!

Try running /usr/local/bin/nmap as root I think then it will be version 3.75 root might be picking the old version.

It doesn't strike me as correct that you were able to make install as a user. Are you sure about that? It seems that wherever the make install put your new nmap is in root's $PATH after /usr/bin/nmap (or wherever the 3.5 binary lives). Check what Giro suggested and try running a make install as root.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy