Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Code: What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? What is it on Mandrake? Code: The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is the location of the directory of C header files that

Code:
    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel?
    What is it on Mandrake?

Code:
    The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.
    /usr/src/linux/include doesn't work. Help me out.

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

C header files are found in:
    Code:
    /usr/include

Linux Newbie
    I tried that in Mandrake 10 and it says that those header files don't match my running Kernel. What other directory would it be?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    It's

/usr/src/{uname -r}/include

where uname -r is the output of uname -r.

If you don't have that directory, then you don't have kernel source installed.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    Well, I installed kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm. Hopefully that will fix the problem?

Linux Newbie
    Nevermind. It did fix the problem. i didn't have to manually enter the location either.

Just Joined!

STOP AND READ if you are about ready to give up on core 5 and vmware 5

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTheMime
    Code:
    What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel?
    What is it on Mandrake?

Code:
    The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.
    /usr/src/linux/include doesn't work. Help me out.

Thanks in advance,
    Simon
    I made the mistake to upgrade from core 3 to core 5 and I too spent hours hours messing about with kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, kernel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5, kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 and etkernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 etc because I was thinking down the line that the C header files must be missing or for the wrong kernel, It resolved to be a more simple problem of how the VMware script looks for the header files, so the following is the easy steps I have taken to resolve my problem.

1) check your running kernel by typing "uname -r"
    [root@alexs ~]# uname -r
    2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp
    [root@alexs ~]#

2) check that you have the devel version of your kernel (you can see below that I had some kernel fun) as you can see in step 1 I am running 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp so I have kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 and kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 installed.
    You do not need this kernel you can use the one you have just make sure you have the headers and the easy way to find the headers is to use the devel kernel.

[root@alexs ~]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5
    kernel-smp-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
    kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
    kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5
    [root@alexs ~]#

3) This is the step I wish I had know about 3 hours ago, visit my dev server and download vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz (http://inoc-dev.viatel.net/vmware-an...date101.tar.gz)

4) As root "su -" unzip the file "gunzip vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz" then un-tar the file "tar -xvf vmware-any-any-update101.tar" and then "cd vmware-any-any-update101" and run the script "./runme.pl"

Hope this helps

Alex

Just Joined!

how to for those devel package?

Hi,
    I am trying to install Vmware tools and it needs source of the kernel.. I downloaded but it doesnt' have any version.h file.. I guess.. I need to do something else before this..

My
    rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5

So no devel thing there.. I can see source in /usr/include but got an error message

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.20) does not match your running
    kernel (version 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp). Even if the module were to compile
    successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

kindly let me know what can I do to get that devel thing..

my
    uname -r
    2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp

Kindly let me know if you know any solution to this problem.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by a9503128
    I made the mistake to upgrade from core 3 to core 5 and I too spent hours hours messing about with kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, kernel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5, kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 and etkernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 etc because I was thinking down the line that the C header files must be missing or for the wrong kernel, It resolved to be a more simple problem of how the VMware script looks for the header files, so the following is the easy steps I have taken to resolve my problem.

1) check your running kernel by typing "uname -r"
    [root@alexs ~]# uname -r
    2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp
    [root@alexs ~]#

2) check that you have the devel version of your kernel (you can see below that I had some kernel fun) as you can see in step 1 I am running 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp so I have kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 and kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5 installed.
    You do not need this kernel you can use the one you have just make sure you have the headers and the easy way to find the headers is to use the devel kernel.

[root@alexs ~]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5
    kernel-smp-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
    kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2111_FC5
    [root@alexs ~]#

3) This is the step I wish I had know about 3 hours ago, visit my dev server and download vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz (http://inoc-dev.viatel.net/vmware-an...date101.tar.gz)

4) As root "su -" unzip the file "gunzip vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz" then un-tar the file "tar -xvf vmware-any-any-update101.tar" and then "cd vmware-any-any-update101" and run the script "./runme.pl"

Hope this helps

Alex

Just Joined!

FC5 and VMware

Hi "vsood2"

When you say "am trying to install Vmware tools" does this mean you have VMWare installed and running?

Lets say you do not; what distro are you running Redhat, Fedora, Gentoo, etc?
    Did you download the vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz file and run the update?

yours

Alexander

Just Joined!
    I have Vmware Workstartion 5.5 running very well. I have Fedora Core 5 running.

I did not download vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz or do anything with it becuase .. (if i m not mistaken).. I need to have "kernel devel" thing installed first.
    Kindly let me know if I m wrong..

Sorry for replying late.. forgot to subscribe to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by a9503128
    Hi "vsood2"

When you say "am trying to install Vmware tools" does this mean you have VMWare installed and running?

Lets say you do not; what distro are you running Redhat, Fedora, Gentoo, etc?
    Did you download the vmware-any-any-update101.tar.gz file and run the update?

yours

Alexander

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast