Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi Ugo, I used Partition Magic as the magazine that the disk came free with said that Knoppix can't shrink Windows partitions and to use such a programme instead. Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi Ugo,

I used Partition Magic as the magazine that the disk came free with said that Knoppix can't shrink Windows partitions and to use such a programme instead. Windows 98SE and Mandrake Linux are on that drive, seperated by a partition and I couldn't risk losing two O.S. I used Partition Magic when I was installing Mandrake and didn't have any problem like this.

Local time in Ireland is 11.:15pm, I'll be online for another 45 minutes or so if you want to troubleshoot live.

Thanks,

Martin, Dublin

PS: Instrersting avatar!
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Engineer
    Hi martin... If your still around, go in the IRC so we can troubleshoot live
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Hi Ugo,

I have one last thing I'll try when I get home. I'll delete the 4 gig partition's file system through MDK, then see if Knoppix offers to format it for me. I'll let you know what happens.

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

Linux Engineer
    Thats another great idea Martin!
    This'll make sure that the drive is formated properly.
    Also, as suggested last night, try to install another distro from another installation CD, mabye this one is faulty. This would be your next step if this doesnt work

Keep me updated
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Hi Ugo,

I'm afraid it didn't work, the installer couldn't see the partition as it was not Linux native, so I went back to Partition Magic and used it to convert the 4 Gig to EXT3 but the installer threw up the same error as before. I think the disk is faulty, because it won't run on my wife's PC and that's a PII 300mhz with 128RAM so it should be compatible. Not to worry, pleny of other distros out there to try....

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

Hi Ugo, hi all,

I picked up another PC magazine, this one has SUSE 9.2 Personal on a disk. The instructions say I have to burn the ISO image to a CD Rom (no problem), then I can go ahead and install. What do's and don't should I be looking out for? If I let SUSE change the MBR, can I use the Mandrake DVD to restore it back the way it was? If this works, I can add SUSE to Mandrake's LILO, is that true?

Thanks again for the help.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Just Joined!
    Hi martin, yes you can add the Suse under the Lilo of mandrake whithout any problem, simply note down the HD it is under, and add it in the Boot Loader option in the Mandrake Control Center

Hi all,

This tread has moved to the SuSE forum. This is the link if you want to continue viewing;

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-34023.html

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Hi all,

Since my last postings, I couldn't install SuSE as it wanted to overwrite Mandrake but I got Knoppix installed instead. I now need help mounting the new partition and adding it to the LiLo bootloader. Can anyone help?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

This issue is resolved. Click this link for instructions how to configure LiLo

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lilo.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2