Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I currently have Mandrake 10.1 Official, XP Pro & 98SE on one machine as a multi-boot. I just picked up a bootable CD Rom of Knoppix 3.7 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How many Linux/WindowsO.S. is possible?

Hi all,

I currently have Mandrake 10.1 Official, XP Pro & 98SE on one machine as a multi-boot. I just picked up a bootable CD Rom of Knoppix 3.7 and there is an install option. Can I actually have two Linux and two Windows O.S. on the one machine or is that asking for trouble? Alternatively, Knoppix has each of my drives, both EXT2 and FAT32 as desktop icons, can I replicate that in Mandrake so as I don't have to go to the 'Run Command' option to access my Windows files?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

You can theoretically have an infinite amount of OS's on one drive, just so long as you have enough space.

Re: How many Linux/WindowsO.S. is possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin from Dublin
    Alternatively, Knoppix has each of my drives, both EXT2 and FAT32 as desktop icons, can I replicate that in Mandrake so as I don't have to go to the 'Run Command' option to access my Windows files?
    It should be possible, all you have to do is right click on the desktop, and then something like add device or something, and then just add the Fat and FAT32 partitions;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    i believe you can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions and 32 total partitions [if you check the devices file in the kernel documentation, hda32 is the last possible device].
    therefore you can have a maximum of 4 windows systems at a time, or 3 windows systems, and extended partiton and up to 28 linux partitions. [windows has to be installed on a primary partition, without doing complex stuff]

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. So I take it that I can create another Linux partition on my C or D drive in Windows using Partition Magic, then install Knoppix in there....but how will that affect the boot manager? At the moment, Mandrake's boot manager handles all the O.S., defaulting to Linux and when I accept Linux, Mandrake loads, when I select Windows, my old Windows boot manager appears showing XP and 98SE. Does Knoppix change the MBR, that is, will I need to restore the Mandrake MBR from the DVD Rom afterward to get my familiar screen showng Linux or Windows with the Mandrake logo on-screen and when I select Linux, will I be given a choice of Mandrake or Knoppix just like I am when selecting Windows (XP or 98SE)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to be sure what will happen before I decide if I'm going to try this (by the way, no sound in Knoppix, I presume that's because it's running off a CD Rom and not the hard drive).

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Make sure you install Knoppix without a bootloader, then boot into Mandrake and edit the lilo.conf file and add Knoppix to it.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Hi Martin in Dublin

I'm thinking about adding Mandrake 10.1 to a dual boot system I have - win98 & win 2000 pro.

Did you have any problems adding Mandrake to your dual boot?? - What happens on start up?? - at present on my setup windows gives me the opportunity to boot into 98 or 2000 - does this change to give the options of 98 / 200o / mandrake?? or does it work differently? Any help would go down well - I'm just experimenting with linux, as it sounds like you are...

Cheers

Chris in Bantry....

Hi Chris,

There's no hassle in doing the third O.S. and if you're using the DVD rom, have 256 RAM & about 1.2 Gig processor or better, the whole thing only takes about 30 minutes. At the end, you are greeted with a Mandrake screen and you have boot options for Linux, Failsafe & Windows. Only difficulty on the first boot up is the countdown for choice lasts just 5 seconds, but you can extend that in the Mandrake Control Centre.

Once you select Windows, your old boot manager will re-appear and, probably a 30 second countdown will start, usually with Windows 2000 highlighted. The only warning I'd give, is not to allow the Linux partition tool to move your Windows files, you may lose some. Use Partition Magic instead and install that into Windows 98.

Before you do any of that, buy yourself a copy of 'Linux in Easy Steps' by Mike Mc Grath. this book deals with Mandrake 10.0 and is my Bible for Linux. You'll pick up a copy in PC World or any of those big computer shops but buy the book before you do anything, it's brilliant for a newbie and teaches you about Linux and it's history as well as how to install and run the system.

Let me know how you get on.

Martin

Dublin, Ireland

Hi all,

Need some help here.....I created a 4 Gig partition for Knoppix using Partition Magic, all seemed to be going well until I started the installation wizard. I was asked the usual things (real name, user name, password etc) and took the option of setting the boot to the root partition (the only other option was MBR and I was warned not to do that) but when I tried to begin the installation I got these errors ( it was trying to format it's own partition)

error:formatting of failed.some messages from mkfs.ext3:usage:mkfs.ext3 [-c: -t -l
    filemane] [-b block-size] [-f fragment -size] [ -i bytes -per node] [-m reserved -blocks -percentage] [o creator -os] [-g blocks per group] [-l volume -label] [-m last mounted directory] [-o feature [,...] ] [-r fs-revision] [-r raid_opts] [-q vSV] device [blocks count]

I have no idea what it is trying to tell me, I assumed 4 gigs was plenty of space (it should be) and I know that it can share a swap partition with Mandrake. Could it be that Partition Magic defaults to creating EXT2 and not EXT3 files for Linux? Would any friendly Linux programmer out there help me out? I'd really like to complete this, if it's possilbe.

Thanks,

Martin,Dublin

Linux Engineer
    Hi Martin
    Any special reason you use Partition magic to do this? you could use the installation CD and you will be able to partition the drive as wanted...

Please update me on your needs
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast