Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandrake 10.1 with KDE. I was in the configuration section, messing with screen resolution and was prompted that i must log out for the changes to take effect. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help I messed up my Linux

I have Mandrake 10.1 with KDE. I was in the configuration section, messing with screen resolution and was prompted that i must log out for the changes to take effect. I thought I logged out, got stuck, and restarted the X server session?, and restarted the computer. Now when I start the computer, it comes up to my login/password screen, and then logs me on as the root user. At least I think that is what it does since the $ preceeds the prompt. I have no idea how to get it to keep going. How do I get Linux to come back up automaticly? Did I mess something up with the autologin deal? HELP. Thanks

Just Joined!

Same problem

Something very similar happened to me. I was installing Nvidia drivers, and it asked me to reboot and now just goes to the terminal prompt. Any help for either of us would be appreciated. I have a computer engineer next door looking at it, so if he helps me out I'll post what he does.

Just Joined!

... no the help you expected

... but $ is for regular users and # is for root (I have Mandrake too).

Just Joined!
    why don't you type : start x
    This should launch the graphical interface

Just Joined!

solution

I had this problem too.
    Cause is that kernel module nvidia was not loaded.
    Adding text nvidia to /etc/modules and to /etc/modules.preload fixed this problem

Banned
    i think your problem is with the x86 files
    have you got a live cd of any disrto's?
    cos that would make it easier for me to explain

Linux Guru
    tom boucher,
    If ever you change a config option and then the system is borked, you can simply change back to the old configuration. Try loging in at the prompt you get when you start. su to root, then go the /etc/X11 directory. There should be a file called Xorg.conf that is a sym link to something like xf86conf-4 or something close to that. There should also be one called xf86conf-4.bak or maybe .old.

Code:
    mv xf86conf-4 xf86conf-4.backup
    mv xf86conf-4.bak xf86conf-4
    This will rename the borked one to something different, and move the old one (that workded) over the borked one. You should then be able to startx agian.

Let me know if that works,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    tom boucher,

Code:
    mv xf86conf-4 xf86conf-4.backup
    mv xf86conf-4.bak xf86conf-4
    This will rename the borked one to something different, and move the old one (that workded) over the borked one. You should then be able to startx agian.

Let me know if that works,
    Jeremy
    Great advice, but instead of the mv option use cp. If you use mv it will delete the backup and overight the original borked file. If you use cp it will over right the borked file and the original backup will still be there for the next time it happens.
    Code:
    cp xf86conf-4 xf86conf-4.backup
    cp xf86conf-4.bak xf86conf-4
    mv = move
    cp = copy

*Sorry Jeremy, didn't want to step on your toes, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Guru
    *Sorry Jeremy, didn't want to step on your toes, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Dude, no worries. It's an excellent idea!

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude