Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi All I have Win XP home on my system and i have installed Mandrake 10 on my wifes system, both systems are connected to a Net Gear RT314 Router, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows XP Home and Mandrake Linux Networking

Hi All

I have Win XP home on my system and i have installed Mandrake 10 on my wifes system, both systems are connected to a Net Gear RT314 Router, both can connect to the Internet and download mail.
    Now i don't know much about Networking but before my wife had win 2k on her system and that was no problem getting the two PC's talking to each other, it was just a matter of enabling sharing on both systems, mapping the drives and making sure they both had the same work group.

The work-group was MShome, now for the life of me i can not see anything similar to what i did in windows in Mandrake, i am new to Linux as well and i know that things have different names and are in different places, but i cant figure out how to get the the two systems talking to each other.

I did try Ubuntu on my wifes system a couple of weeks ago and straight after the install my system was listed there and i could access my computer from my wifes, so i know it can be done, but how?

Thanks for any help on this

Tony

PS i think that i will need a step by step guide on this

You'll want to research a neat little tool called Samba.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, i will have a look into samba and post back.

Thanks

Tony

Just Joined!
    Hi
    Just an update on this.

Well i have got it working after, sort of half following a guide to Samba i found. but i got stuck on the guide when it would not "make install" and after a few hours of messing around, i just carried on reading the guide and did as it says in the last section,(open a file browser and type "smb:/// and then select Mshome) and it works fine, so i can only guess that samba was already installed, i just have to try and sort out the print sharing now, but that is not so important as we have a laser jet connected to the linux PC, but it is only a black & white one, if my wife wants to print in colour, for now she will have to copy the files over to my machine and print from there.
    The printer on my XP system is a Epson Stylus PHOTO 790 USB if you can shed any light on how to share it i would be greatful.
    Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Tony

Linux Guru
    You should be able to setup printer sharing in Mandrake Control Center > Hardware > Printers. Add a new printer and select connected to a windows machine. It should autodetect and everything.

Good luck!
    jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Hi and thanks, but it comes up as "No Printer Found" any ideas?

Tony

Linux Guru
    hmmmm... This used to be an bug in 9.2. Hopefully it hasn't returned. Fire up CUPS and go through that way. It's almost the same thing, but you'll have to enter the data manually.

Also, are you sure you've set your printer to be shared??
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    It's ok i have sorted it out now, i just had to go a slightly different way about it.

Cheers

Tony

Linux Guru
    Post your solution for the rest of us!!

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    I did it the same way you said, i went through CUPS and entered the data manually, and all was fine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast