Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dual boot pc win98 & win 2000 pro - I now want to add mandrake 10.1 Is there any problems running a triple boot system & what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Triple Boot??

I have a dual boot pc win98 & win 2000 pro - I now want to add mandrake 10.1

Is there any problems running a triple boot system & what will happen when I boot up?? - at the moment I get the option to boot into win98 or win 2000 (obvioulsy) - will mandrake be added to this list or does something else happen???

I've read the "starter guide" which speaks of Grub / Lilo - before i go ahead with the install, how does this work?? - any screenshots of the bootloader in action??? and whats the difference between grub and lilo??

Thanks

Chris

LILO (LInuxLOader) is the defaulte in mandrake, and if you install you will be able to add the windows partitions to your lilo.conf file if they don't get added during the install process.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

as dylinio said above the mdk installer will do this all for you!
    when you boot up you will get a splash screen with the options of what to boot and there will be a default os to boot which is changable.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Sounds cool!!

I'lll give it a try then.

Chris

Linux Newbie
    It's not a problem.

I've got a friend who boots XP, Mandrake, and about 4-5 other flavors of linux too. Just install windoze first, lot less of a hassle to install it first and then linux...

Linux Guru
    It might be a good idea to have a hard-copy record of your partition tables and the commands needed to load your kernels and initrds. And maybe to have a grub boot disk. That way if things get screwy, you'll have some tools to work through it. There's really nothing mysterious about bootloaders, they just need to be set up to point to the right files. You can even chainload bootloaders: I've got a system that boots to Grub and it has one entry to boot to Lilo. Just for fun.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

How about this

MAC OSX can't also be boot loaded with XP/MDK, right? I'm confused as to if mac osx can only be booted on mac hardware. Also, installing SUSE to my current XP/MDK setup won't change much other then ading it to the LILO? My primary question is if I can also ad mac osx too, though to my xp/mdk.... THX

joker2669: You will not be able to install Mac OSX on your pc, since it isn't mac hardware standard (PPC),

If you have a mac lying about you can install Mac OSX and Mandrake PPC version on it and dual boot them.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2