Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought a copy of Mandrake Linux 10.1Powerpack from Linux Central. OS downloaded fine and when it went to reboot, that is when I got stuck. It ask for local ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems starting up.

I bought a copy of Mandrake Linux 10.1Powerpack from Linux Central. OS downloaded fine and when it went to reboot, that is when I got stuck. It ask for local host log in: Then asked for password. I passed up all user name stuff and passwords on the download, for this is for my son's computer and he will have nothing on it that needs to be a secret. So what is it asking me for?

well then I'd say login as "root", and make an account sans password for your son with the "passwd" command.

Just Joined!

problems starting up

I am still having problems. I went back and reinstalled Linux 10.1 Powerpack and added root pass word and a user name and pass for my son. When I enter my sons user name it then asks for his pass word. I enter this and the it has this (name@login)$ . What does it mean by $. If I go in and log in as root and then enter pass word it asks (root@login) # . What does # mean. This is all crazy to me. I have been using Linspire for almost two years and this is my first time to run a regular Linux system. I have ordered Xandros OS, but ordered this first and thought it would work.

A $ prompt means that you are a regular user, and a # prompt means that you are a superuser, or 'root'.

Just Joined!

problems starting up

I am still having problems. When the $ prompt comes up, what do I enter. If I enter nothing it shows error. If I enter the dollar sign, his user name, password or anything else it shows error. I don't know what to enter. It may show [name@localhost name]$ yes
    bash unknown $ yes. Do You have an answer for this. Still trying to get the user screen to come up. Lucky that I still have Linspire on my computer. On the yes above, it was just something I entered in.

You don't need to answer anything. You are now at a command shell. You can enter now any valid linux command. If you want something graphical, try typing:
    Code:
    startx
    from this prompt, and that should work.