Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody. I'm quite new to Linux and need some help. I installed Mandrake 10.1 successfully, and currently am dual booting with windows XP. I have wireless internet, and Mandrake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tools for wireless in mandrake?

Hi everybody. I'm quite new to Linux and need some help. I installed Mandrake 10.1 successfully, and currently am dual booting with windows XP.
    I have wireless internet, and Mandrake recognized my wireless PCI card, (bear in mind this is a desktop computer, not a laptop, and I'm not talking about a PCMCIA card).

Well, like I said, it recognized my PCI card, but there is no where in Mandrake I can find wireless access points, or configure my client for a specific wireless network (WEP, SSID, sharing/open, etc.).

If anyone could tell me a Linux program that would let me do this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
    syntax

I'd suggest a little program called KWifiManager. It does a good job for me, although there's not much to it. It's just like a clone of the Windows XP wireless card management program, a little bit more inuitive.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    I'd suggest a little program called KWifiManager. It does a good job for me, although there's not much to it. It's just like a clone of the Windows XP wireless card management program, a little bit more inuitive.
    Shortly after posting, a friend recommended that to me. I installed it and tried it, but the picture of the PCI card has a question mark over it as if It can't recognize the device and it shows no wireless networks...and I know mine is in ranger with SSID broadcasting enabled.
    If you could suggest anything else, I'd greatly appreciate it!
    -syntax

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    why don't you try configuring the device manually. I'm assuming that you have the correct drivers for it? Try:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 up
    dhclient eth1
    from the command line, replacing eth1 with the appropriate device.