Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys, i am new to linux and have a fair understanding of the windows environment. I am trying to install a dual boot win98/Mandrake system. I have two separate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lilo error at startup

Hi guys, i am new to linux and have a fair understanding of the windows environment.

I am trying to install a dual boot win98/Mandrake system. I have two separate drives with windows on hda and mandrake on hdb.

Windows was installed first and after installing mandrake i just get an error that says "L 01 01 01 01 repeating" I can post my lilo.conf if need be. Can anyone help mw through this one?

If i reinstall the windows bootloader i can start win98. But thats not really what i want nowi is it.

please post your lilo.conf

and do you have ide drives or do you have sata drives?
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Hda is a 10Gb Olympic something. Hdb is a 40 Gb Maxtor and both are connected by IDE cable if that answers anything. I found this lilo.conf by booting to rescue disk, Mounting hdb1 on /mnt/hdb1 and then into /mnt/hdb/etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    default="linux"
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hdb1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent"
    vga=788
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux-nonfb"
    root=/dev/hdb1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb5"
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="failsafe"
    root=/dev/hdb1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hdb5 devfs=nomount"
    read-only
    other=/dev/hda1
    label="windows"
    table=/dev/hda
    other=/dev/fd0
    label="floppy"
    unsafe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You might try installing lilo with the '-l' (lowecase L) option. I've only ever seen it needed on old hard drives, though. If it does work, add 'linear' to your lilo.conf. See the lilo and lilo.conf for more info about that.

Just Joined!
    Thankyou kindly. Could you give me an idea using commands how one might re-install ? The only access i have is from a rescue disk into a konsole.

Just Joined!
    ok so i went into /sbin and tried.
    # lilo -v -l

I get an error saying something about not being able to use a shared library. devmapper or something.

Linux Guru
    The only time I've seen this error (01 01 01) is on a bad install. You may try to re-install the entire Linux system. Did you check your md5 of the discs?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Yes i checked the MD5 after downloading and its alll good. I also successfully installed mandrake on the hda with no other OS so i know it works OK.

I just cant for the life of me get it to boot properly with Win98 on hda and Mandrake 10 on hdb.

Linux Engineer
    I've seen lilo spit out errors like that many times, and it almost always an old hard disk. Telling it to use linear mode (the -l option or adding linear to lilo.conf) usually solves it. When you boot the rescue disk, does it boot your linux partition or does it have it's own stuff on the disk? If it's not booting your linux partition, and booting it's own root partition instead, you're best mounting your linux partition, chroot to it, then run lilo from there.

Just Joined!
    thanks valan. The disk with windows on it is fairly old but the hdb (with mandrake) is less than 12 months old. Its a seagate baracuda.

The rescue disk gets me to to my root on hdb. So i can access the drive this way but when i try to run lilo by typing lilo -l i get an error saying that it is having trouble with a shared library or something. Does this help ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast