Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
how do i login as root? not in the terminal but root as a user when you get into gnome/kde...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how do i login as root

how do i login as root? not in the terminal but root as a user when you get into gnome/kde

Linux Guru
    By default, the ability to login as root graphically is disabled. You have to enable it. Go to Mandrake Control Center > System > Login Manager. There will be an option to allow root GUI login there.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    By default, the ability to login as root graphically is disabled. You have to enable it. Go to Mandrake Control Center > System > Login Manager. There will be an option to allow root GUI login there.

Jeremy

I found the login manager, but I dont see where to enable root login. Please help. Im using MAndriva 2007...thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmanx4lf
    how do i login as root? not in the terminal but root as a user when you get into gnome/kde
    Why do you need to log in as root graphically?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Why does it matter?? He probably like me wants complete control of his system. Does anyone know how to do this on Mandriva 2007???

Ive looked at all the tabs under login manager, and also tried adminstrator mode....still dont see it.....

Ive been using LE 2005 edition for years now.....this was not a issue with that version....

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by bullethead21
    Why does it matter??
    It matters because new users often misunderstand what it means to log in as root. Logging in as root is a very serious security and stability risk, and should be avoided as much as possible. Most system administration tasks can be done from the command line using su or sudo, and they're safer than logging in graphically. I asked why because there might be a safer way to accomplish what the original poster is trying to do without the need to log in graphically as root.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    So I guess you dont know either then. Thanks anyways

Quote Originally Posted by bullethead21
    So I guess you dont know either then.
    The answer to this question was posted numerous times on the forum. Here is one thread on how to do it (about Ubuntu, but the same if you use GDM as your login manager) :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...on-ubuntu.html

But we cannot emphasise enough how much this is a bad idea. Anyway, it is your system, do as you please.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks but that wont work with Mandriva 2007.

Ya know some of us users are not total morons. I have been running Linux servers for over 7 years and I like the GUI. Its really not such a bad idea as long as you know what your doing. You can screw your system up just as fast from a console/terminal.

Anyhow, for those that want to login as root using Mandriva 2007, just goto your control center then open a console. Navigate to the etc/kde/kdm/ directory and edit the kdmrc file.

You just need to change one line to "allowrootlogin=true"

Save your changes and your good to go.

You guys really know how to make a new user feel welcome....dont think I will be coming back here.

It's just a suggestion, take it easy.
    In my opinion this one of the best and friendlies forums out there.
    Nobody will miss you anyway.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast