Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im a newbie; recently installed MandrakeLinux10.1 on my pc which has WindowsXP home that I have resized; so both Windows and Linux are running on the same hard disk. Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

To delete extra options

Im a newbie; recently installed MandrakeLinux10.1 on my pc which has WindowsXP home that I have resized; so both Windows and Linux are running on the same hard disk.

Now after the pc gets rebooted, I EXPECT to see only WindowsXP and MandrakeLinux options to choose from. But other than these two, I get a few options too viz. failsafe etc.

Can you help me
    1. to explain what it is
    2. remove those extra options.

Pl let me know if you want more info.

Thx in advance.

i dont know what viz is but failsafe is the linux version of safemode.....so you kinda want to keep that one around for the day that you bork up the system it will load and run with a mimamum of drivers so that you can fix your box!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    [Forget about 'viz' which means 'namely']

- When I tried the failsafe option, the system hanged; is there any problem with that option?

- The other options that coming up after booted up are:

Linux-nonfb
    2427-Opre21

Can you explain what they are and how to get rid of it if I don't need them?

Thanks very much.

Linux Guru
    Linux-nonfb
    This is the no-framebuffer option. It simply boots your system without the fancy graphics that you see, ie the progress bar and MDK logo. Instead, you'll see the standard startup screen.

2427-Opre21
    This option will boot your linux distro with the 2.4 kernel rather then 2.6.

If you want to delete these, edit the file /etc/lilo.conf and simply remove them. Careful not to remove too much, or you could bork your system. After you've edited the file, you'll need to write your changes, so make sure to run the command
    Code:
    lilo -v
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude