Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi im new to Linux, After downlaoding the new version of MandrakeLinux (10.2 beta 2)and copeing them to 3 CDs I booted with CD 1. But after I booted and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

boot failed

Hi im new to Linux,
    After downlaoding the new version of MandrakeLinux (10.2 beta 2)and copeing them to 3 CDs I booted with CD 1. But after I booted and pressed ENTER for installing Linux it gave me this:
    Code:
    Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.
    Help
    I've looked throw the forums to see if anybody else had the same problem but this didn't seem to be the case.
    Thx for the support.

Linux Engineer
    So you've setup the boot sequence as CDROM first, and thats the error you get?
    have you md5 the cd?
    Do you have another OS on the disk?
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    yes whats this "md5" about? i only copied the 3 iso files on the seperate CDs..should i have done it differently?

(erm ya i have XP home edition on it..but i was intending on deeinstalling windows but cause i cant get that to register i can only enter safety mode..and safety mode wont let me format my hard drive. cant register caus i lost my key.(different problem though))

Linux Engineer
    md5 is to make sure the integrity is the same as the "poster" posted...
    as for the CD, I gues you've burned them... are you sure you've burned them correctly?

did you burn them from windows? if so, can you see the content of the cd, or you've burn the /iso "as is"
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    yes i burned them correctly...and on my other pc it works and all..

but i have the feeling the installation would maybe work if i could get my hard drive to format..unfortunatly this is a bit difficult if you cant logg on to windows caus the 50-day period (or however long that was) has run out and it wants you to register..maybe you ppl could know how to get into bios before starting xp in order to format c:

Linux Engineer
    1, do you have an OS on this machina?
    2. have you changed the boot sequence in BIOS?

is the floppy drive empty?
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    (btw. i've been editing some of my posts)

- yes i have windows XP HE on my computer
    - no, dont think ive changed any sequences
    - yes i had to use a floppy starter caus my computer was to old to do a autorun to boot with the CD (and all that worked, I got the option box saying press ENTER or F1, but after i pressed ENTER i got that error)

(thx for the help btw)

Linux Guru
    Beta Release of 10.0 had a problem where only CD 2 of 3 was bootable. I remember the error was some what similar. Try poping in a different CD, like 1, then 2 then 3. Maybe one of them will boot.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude