Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've made some postings about how slow my k62 is running KDE and am now running IceWM. This is probably a naieve question - but why would i need/want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Do I really need KDE???

I've made some postings about how slow my k62 is running KDE and am now running IceWM.

This is probably a naieve question - but why would i need/want to run KDE - the software I want to use - Gimp, oo etc.. all run fine within IceWM

What are the benefits of KDE???

Thanks

Chris

Linux Engineer
    the reason people run KDE, like me, is that some applications only works on KDE. As an exemple, superKaramba is an application that displays system status and was developed with the KDE lib and everything...

Graphical interface is really a personnal choise. if you only want the web, and a few other application that are not KDE dependant, you dont have to use it. I do not know if other GUI are really much faster or more stable as I didnt, yet, experiment many Graphical Environment..

Hope this gives you a little explanation
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    the reason people run KDE, like me, is that some applications only works on KDE. As an exemple, superKaramba is an application that displays system status and was developed with the KDE lib and everything...

Graphical interface is really a personnal choise. if you only want the web, and a few other application that are not KDE dependant, you dont have to use it. I do not know if other GUI are really much faster or more stable as I didnt, yet, experiment many Graphical Environment..

Hope this gives you a little explanation
    Even with the things that are KDE-dependent, you can just have the KDE libs installed for the program(s). They will run in ICE, E, flux or even Gnome as long as all the libraries are present.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, unless you're concerned about hard drive space you're probably best just keeping KDE on there and running apps through IceWM.

I used to always have KDE installed, and instead used another window manager. There were some KDE apps I couldn't live without, and some tools that come with KDE (such as the printer setup utility) that make life easier. But as of now I've managed to replace all the KDE apps with non-KDE ones, so it's definitely possible to go without it entirely.

Linux Engineer
    I don't have kde installed. I never use any kde stuff, so I don't care for all that extra bloat.