Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just got mandrake 10.1 and installed it on a desktop. It's running an Athlon 2600+ with a gig of DDR ram. The graphics card i think is an nVidia ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hanging on booting

I just got mandrake 10.1 and installed it on a desktop. It's running an Athlon 2600+ with a gig of DDR ram. The graphics card i think is an nVidia Gforce 4 MMX.

The installation worked perfectly fine and I was raring to go with it. I have installed all the possible desktop enviroments.

When I try and boot up, it goes through the checking and so forth and flashes up a nice blue screen which momentarily says Mandrake 10.1 down in the bottom right hand corner. It's at this point that the system freezes. I've not been asked for a username or password and after a while (around 5 minutes) it's still doing nothing. The keyboard and mouse are both locked out. The only solution is to hit the reset button.

I was wondering if anyone had a solution? I had thought that maybe the graphics card wasn't up to the job, but I don't think it is. Tried the onboard graphics card and set the buffer and memory right up on maximum and that should have done something. The onboard graphics used to play games like Unreal Tournament 2003, so I would be surprised if it could handle a big 3D graphical shoot-'em-up, but couldn't hack the Linux load up screen!

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Linux Guru
    Lateralis,
    I've seen this question here a few times. First of all, did you get the video working during installtion? You should have seen a rainbow background with a yes or no option box. If not, go back and make sure to do that step.

If you already did, I think the problem may be that you need to install the nVidia drivers. Boot into runlevel 3 and go to town.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    A rainbow video? Where abouts in the installation should this video have been? Right at the end?
    I don't remember a video of a rainbow, but that may have been me not paying much attention to what was going on (I was installing linux on a separate desktop whilst I was mIRC'ing and programming on another box).
    If this rainbow didn't display, what would I need to do in order to get this step? A reinstall?

On the other hand, I think the kernel has the drivers for this graphics card, since it was displaying everything fine during installation, however, for future reference how would I boot into runlevel 3?

Edit: I just had a thought. The Hard drive I'm using is a Serial ATA. I hadn't defined an array for this hard drive in the BIOS prior to installation, so when Linux restarted near the end of the installation process, the motherboard didn't detect the hard drive and the installation. So the installation probablly didn't work correctly.
    Let me try this again, since the array has since been defined.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

if it still doesn't work

Some serial ATA boards will require you to set noapic or acpi=off to boot properly. Mandrake makes setting it really easy. The bootloader configuration at the very end of the install has them both there as "check box" options. Incidentally, the big configuration screen at the end gives you an option to test your video settings...I highly recommend doing so (that's where you would see the rainbow screen).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I'm just installing it again. Hopefully I shall report back with good news.

Linux Guru
    You can't miss the rainbow. It's not a video, it's a screen.

At the end of the installation, you'll be prompted with a "configure" screen. Some of the options include setting your time zone, your mouse, keyboard, etc... Towards the bottom of this list is an option to configure your graphics card. Any version of MDK (>=9.2) comes with the generic nVidia drives, and they (reportedly) work well your card. I can attest that they work great with mine, fx5500.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    1) This is powerpack edition. Not sure if that makes a difference to the "ordinary" mandrake 10.1.
    2) During the bootloader installation, there was no checkbox. Just asked where the bootloader should go. It gave a list of three choices, and I choose the one that said in the first partition

EDIT : Found this check box and have selected "Force No APIC"

3) In the "Summary" it lists a lot of options to "configure". I see in he Hardware section - the 2nd section down the list - there is a "graphical interface" section. It was automagically set to the nVidia drivers. I couldn't configure the graphics card driver when clicking "configure", only the graphics card itself. It was automagically set at nVidia GeForce4, and no MDK drivers were listed.

Linux Guru
    Powerpack might have the official nVidia drivers. When you configure your graphics, there should be an option to test. If nothing happens, it'll go back to the config wizard after ten seconds, so don't worry. Otherwise, you'll see the rainbow I mentioned earlier where you can select 'yes'.

The ACPI stuff is under the advanced tab for configuring boot loader.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    OK, i did some of the above, and some of my own intuition and I've now managed to load up Mandrake into the KDE desktop. What I now need to know is how to get the mouse to work!
    I had selected UK PS2 mouse from the drop down box during configuration, but it's not working.

Is there a command that I can type to have linux detect the mouse? I know the mouse does work since I was using it for the installation. I've also plugged in a USB mouse, and that understandably doesn't work either.

Would I need to do a modprobe or w/e?
    I'd also need somewhat of a n00bie guide to do much.

Aside: Thanks guys for your help. Very much appreciated.

Linux Guru
    Use the keyboard to navigate to Mandrake Control Center (start > system > configure your *computer*). Go to hardware and select mouse. You should be able to get your mouse working there.

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast