Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, i just installed my mandrake 10.1 last week and i was wondering how i can make my windows become transparent. I know how to make the panle transparent ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do i get transparent windows

Hello all, i just installed my mandrake 10.1 last week and i was wondering how i can make my windows become transparent. I know how to make the panle transparent but i looked at some screen shots and they had transparent windos. It looked cool and i was wondering how i can do it.

Please write back

Thanks

MandrakeNube22

I believe one must update to KDE 3.3, for Mdk 10.1 comes with 3.2

Side note: 10.2 will be done in April-ish which will have 3.3.2, and when that happens you could update using urpm.

Linux Engineer
    I may be wrong but I think window transparency is application-specific, meaning only certain windows can be transparent. KDE 3.3 may have a feature that allows you to make any window transparent, but I haven't seen that.

Can you give us a link to the screenshots you're talking about so we can see what apps are transparent?

Linux Engineer
    to be able to have very nice transparency on every windows including taskbar, update your URPM database with this how to

after, as root type superkaramba
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    Yep, Superkaramba is the program you need.
    Mandrake users click here.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, ill have to upgrade then. heres the link...... htp://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/fscreenshots.php3
    u have to scrool down a couple and ull se it

Thanks Please Reply

Just Joined!

Linux Guru
    Dude, you may not need KDE 3.3 to get transparency like that. Go to KDE Control Center and under look n feel, there's a section for the menu bar/task bar/ panel. In one of those, you can set the transparency. It only works with certain themes.

As for Konsole, you can set the transparency in the settings drop down menu.

The other things there are superkaramba, that runs fine on KDE 3.2.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    Dude, you may not need KDE 3.3 to get transparency like that. Go to KDE Control Center and under look n feel, there's a section for the menu bar/task bar/ panel. In one of those, you can set the transparency. It only works with certain themes.

As for Konsole, you can set the transparency in the settings drop down menu.

The other things there are superkaramba, that runs fine on KDE 3.2.
    Jeremy
    As said by Jeremy, And as said by me a little earlier, KDE 3.3, I do not have an my desktop is uncluding transparency, superkaramba is an RPM included in the "contrib" of mandrake... there absolutly no pain in installing it.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    is superkarma free? ............ and is there a special one i have to download for Mandrake 10.1????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast