Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys I'm running Mandrake 10.1 Offical and i can't install my 5200 drivers. This is what i do 1. Init 3 (in konsole) 2. Sh (NVIDIA DRIVER LOCATION) 3. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot INSTALL Nvidia drivers on MDK 10.1 (PLEASEEEEE HELP)

Hey guys

I'm running Mandrake 10.1 Offical and i can't install my 5200 drivers. This is what i do
    1. Init 3 (in konsole)
    2. Sh (NVIDIA DRIVER LOCATION)
    3. Get a message to search the nvidia FTP for a kernel or some poo like that)
    4. it isn't found
    5. It asks me to compile a kerner thing
    6. The kernel cannot compile the kernel driver thing ( the thing that MDK10.1 was searching the ftp for)

What can i do. Please help me out im eager to play some games =), and windoz is tempting me(can't resist games). Oh and on SuSE It installed perfectly. On FC3 and MDK 10.1 I get that problem.

Fanx, DesyphER

Linux Engineer
    You'll need to install the kernel source. I'm not familiar with Mandrake entirely, but I'd imagine you could use urpmi. Try running urpmi kernel-source as root and see if that works. If not, you can try searching for and downloading a kernel source rpm, or you can install the kernel source off of one of the Mandrake CDs. That should take care of the problem.

Keep in mind the kernel source package version needs to match the kernel version you're running. If you haven't upgraded the kernel since the original install, getting it off the CDs should work. Urpmi should also take care of this (I'd hope).

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Fanx

But ah i cant seem to install the kernel-sources anymore so i'm just gonna reinstall MDK10.1 then retry the whole process.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by DesyphER
    Fanx

But ah i cant seem to install the kernel-sources anymore so i'm just gonna reinstall MDK10.1 then retry the whole process.
    That's one way to go.

What seems to be the problem when you try to install the kernel source?

Just Joined!
    Go here and follow these steps. You were on the right path but missed some important steps. Here you will find out how to get the correct kernel source and what to do from there including how to properly edit your xorg.conf and such.

Linuxloader Nvidia Install Instructions

I hope this helps ya.

Just Joined!

OK ill psot here same question

Ok ive followed the instructions on that site and followed all the processes through except 1 of the last few things it ask its to go edit your xorg.conf file and uncomment

Load "glx" #3D Layer

to what i think it means is

Load "glx" 3D Layer

Ok so i also edited the modprobe.preload and added Nvidia and also changed the nv to nvidia as early told to .

So ive logout loged in as standard user ran "startx" and says " Parse ERROR on line 27 " which is the uncomment line so i think iam doing it wrong.

Can anyone tell me the correct syntax or am i doing something else wrong too ?

Sorry just installed a linux based os only yesterday and as you can see still working out how to install video drivers lol..

Thanks

Battle Sloth

Linux Engineer

Re: OK ill psot here same question

Quote Originally Posted by battle_sloth
    Ok ive followed the instructions on that site and followed all the processes through except 1 of the last few things it ask its to go edit your xorg.conf file and uncomment

Load "glx" #3D Layer

to what i think it means is

Load "glx" 3D Layer

Ok so i also edited the modprobe.preload and added Nvidia and also changed the nv to nvidia as early told to .

So ive logout loged in as standard user ran "startx" and says " Parse ERROR on line 27 " which is the uncomment line so i think iam doing it wrong.

Can anyone tell me the correct syntax or am i doing something else wrong too ?

Sorry just installed a linux based os only yesterday and as you can see still working out how to install video drivers lol..

Thanks

Battle Sloth
    You're gonna want to keep the # in front of 3D Layer.

It should read:
    Code:
    Load "glx" #3D Layer
    All you need to uncomment is the beginning of the line, not before 3D Layer. That should be it.

Just Joined!

OK

Ok so it should look like what ?

Load glx #3D Layer

Just Joined!

OK

Well ive tried that still says parse error ?

And i tried

Load "glx" #3D Layer

thats the original but niether work

Still says same error "Parse line 27"

only other thing ive changed it in Drivers section the "nv" to "nvidia"

Linux Engineer

Re: OK

Quote Originally Posted by battle_sloth
    Ok so it should look like what ?

Load glx #3D Layer
    No, it should be
    Code: