Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I can't install my mandrake 10.1 to my computer that already have windows in it. The installation stoped at lisence step. I din't really remember the the error was. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation can't detect sata harddrive

I can't install my mandrake 10.1 to my computer that already have windows in it. The installation stoped at lisence step. I din't really remember the the error was. I just guest that that the installation simply can't detect my sata harddrive, because in help menu said that the installation can't continue if the hardware don't configure yet.
    This is my computer spec:
    - Proc AMD Sempron 2800+
    - Mainboard Gygabite K7 N400 Pro2 with nForce chip
    - HDD Sata 120 Gb (Singgle as a base not raid) and have 2 partition on it
    - Graphic card Ge Force FX 5700LE
    (Ithink that's enough for descript my computer)
    I've try to configure the problem hardware wiht the information in the "hardware information" menu, but it failed and the instalation return to the console that said "The installation detect .......... (i don't really remember it) ..... Do you another .............", and it happen over and over again. And there are the optional answers :
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Information. (about hardware in the computer)
    I've opened all of the answer but I can't find the solution.
    What must I do??????

Linux Newbie
    You need to supply a S-ATA driver disk to mandrake, just like F6 in a WindowsXP installation.

Just Joined!
    Actually my mandrake is 10 not 10.1 like I've told before. I'm really sorry about that. And my problem is simply the same as linuxtx's. But I couldn't find any solution in his discusion about the problem.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I've tried that and there were no respons of that. When the installation ask the extf2 formatted flopydisk, I inserted the sata driver flopydisk for windows (I know it won't work), and the installation can't recognize it. And the installation went to the step that can't recognize the hard drive to restore the files.
    I've tried to follow the steps in the readme file, but I'm still confused about unziping ext2 file. Actually I still dont know what must I do..

Or may be you or anybody else have the tutorial about the steps installing mandrake 10 in base-sata harddrive computer. Please help me...

Linux Newbie
    Try with this SATA driver and tell me how it went.

Just Joined!

still no work

Thanks for the driver. But I still dont know where or when I must use it. I've unziped the driver and opened it. There is a readme file explain about the installation in redhead 8.0. And it said that the driver compatble with redhead 8.0. But I dont care, show must go on.
    These re the steps that I've taken :
    - Install with cdrom, and I pressed F1 for more option.
    - I choosed expert for booting (I still dont understad with this option)
    - When the installation asked "do you want to use the third-party...?", I choosed "Yes"
    - When it asked the ext2fs formated flopydisk, I inserted the driver I've just got. But it still couldnt recognize the flopydisk.
    - For I dont have the wanted flopydisk, I choosed "back"
    - Then it asked the next ext2 formatted flopydisk (not ext2fs), ofcourse I dont have it. And I choosed "back" again.
    - Until it asked the supported flopy disk ...... (I dont remember what its), the installation go on the next step... the lisence ...
    - And finally I halted it for it still couldnt detect my sata hhd.

Did I do wrong? Or I missed the important step?
    Must I rebuild the kernel like explained at redhead 8.0 installation in the readme file? If I must, I still dont know how to rebuild the kernel for mandrake 10

Please help me......

Just Joined!
    Can't any 1 help this problem? So should I let my mandrake 10.0 cds just no use anymore? Im a newbie about linux, I want to use it and leave my windows. My will must be realized, and I still need any 1s help here. Please......

try kernel parameters

Try booting by passing "noapic" and "acpi=off" as kernel parameters. Noapic and acpi give some people trouble, especially on boards with SATA drives. I would try noapic first.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Re: try kernel parameters

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    passing "noapic" and "acpi=off" as kernel parameters.
    How do I pass it? Does it run automatcally when booting by cd? Or....

how to pass

Try this

1. Boot the Mandrake install cd

2. When you get the main menu screen (it will have a dialog that asks for F1 or Enter), press F1 for more options

3. Type in "linux noapic" (without the quotes) and press enter. To pass acpi=off, do the same thing and type "linux acpi=off". I think you can do both at the same time by typing "linux noapic acpi=off".

If doing this works, remember to check the boxes next to the option you passed when the install gets to the "bootloader" section, or you will have the same preblem booting after your install. Hope this helps!
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

take no effect

I've tried to pass them with the 3 ways you given but they take no effect. The installation still run as usuall. At the end it stoped at the 'lisence' step and it said
    Found "partport_pc","imm","ppa" interfaces. Do you have another one?
    And there are 3 choises :
    - Yes, it will open the comment "Which disk/scsi driver shoul i try?" and delivered all off devive driver that no match with mine.
    - No, There will be an Error report, "An error occured-no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystem. Please check your hardware for cause of this problem."
    - Hardware info, it will open all of the peripheral in the computer.

Did I do wrong? Or do you still have another way that I should try, please?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast