Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off I am still very new to linux...I am trying to convert over so please understand I will have limitations....Most likely dick and jane responses please...sorry. Ok now on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Problems

First off I am still very new to linux...I am trying to convert over so please understand I will have limitations....Most likely dick and jane responses please...sorry. Ok now on with the problem.

I have a linksys WPA-11 wireless card. When I install it it does recognize the card. I do a IWCONFIG and it does show I have wireless capabalities on ETH1, but I notice the ESSID field does not populate. It just shows "". If I do the following command IWCONFIG ETH1 ESSID <essid name> the card will come up. And everything starts working.

I check the etc\sysconfig\network-scrips\ifcfg-eth1 and it does have the ESSID in there.

This is where I am at and I am a little stumped why it is not grabbing the ESSID any help would be good.

Linux Guru
    I've been noticing that MCC has been writing over hand config'ed file in this release

Try using MCC Networking to setup your connection. You can enter the ESSID there. Use the new connection wizard.

Let me know if that works.
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Apologies

What is the MCC? Sorry newbie over here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Mandrake Control Center.

Start > System > Configuration > Configure your computer

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    Things that dawn on you after you send the post...Figured that out after I hit the send buttun...uuuhhhhggggg. Mondays

That is how I originally configured the card. I belive that the MCC creates the file in etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

When I open the file I see all the configurations are correct from when I configured it through the MCC.

What I am confused is why that file is not being refrenced. The funny thing is once I tell it the ESSID it picks up the other information from that file...is the IWCONFIG a temporary command or does it write permantly?

Not sure if that helps?

Linux Guru
    iwconfig should make the changes permenant.

Do you have other ethernet cards on you machine? I don't know why it would make a difference, but perhaps if you disabled it...

Jeremy