Find the answer to your Linux question:
My system has Windows XP, but I went to install Mandrake 10.1 on a sepearte harddrive, I restarted my system and booted from the DVD I had donwloaed. It sarted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Problems

My system has Windows XP, but I went to install Mandrake 10.1 on a sepearte harddrive, I restarted my system and booted from the DVD I had donwloaed. It sarted olkay, but when I hit enter to begin installation the screen just went black. I then tried a text install, but some text came up and then it didn't seem to do anything. Any idea what's wrong?

Linux Guru

Re: Installation Problems

Quote Originally Posted by gmclean
    It sarted olkay, but when I hit enter to begin installation the screen just went black.
    At some point it stopped being okay. What did you see then? The problem likely is either with your DVD or you need to pass some kernel parameters. You should be able to check your DVD with the MD5 checksum or something like that. You may need to go back to the site where you got it to see how to do that. If it's a problem with parameters, you need to watch the messages on the screen while it's trying to boot and tell us what you see. You may see a chance to hit an 'F-key' to see "boot options" like, maybe ide=nodma to help Linux past some tricky hardware you have.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    well a screen comes up to start install or enter options. Start install maekes the screen turn black. The options gives a menu with a command line to pass parameters, I bleieve. There was a md5 file where I downloaded it, but I don't know what to do with it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    To see how to check the MD5 sum, click here. I'd explain it myself, but I've never done it. Dial-up access keeps me ignorant.

On the chance that it might be your system, can you say what you have? Linux apparently works best on machines that are not too old and not too new. There are work-arounds for both. So: what do you have for cpu, RAM, video adapter, hard drive, CD drive. Is the separate hard drive internal or external? Is it on the IDE, UDMA or ATA/133?

If all else fails (or is too tedious) maybe you should try another distro. "drakebasher" says: it might be the distro.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    AMD 3400+ on Asus A8V mobo
    2x512 DDR400 Kingston valueram dual channel
    eVGA 6800GT
    16x DVD-Rom drive

I have an internal SATA harddrive and two really old IDE ones (like 5 and 8 gbs or something). I am planning to install it on the small IDE one, but I can't even get to the part where I select it