Find the answer to your Linux question:
Am running Mandrake 10.1 and XP and Suse 9.2. Had Mandrake bootloader installed to floppy and the other two to hda. Trouble was when I removed suse and removed partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partition number changed

Am running Mandrake 10.1 and XP and Suse 9.2. Had Mandrake bootloader installed to floppy and the other two to hda. Trouble was when I removed suse and removed partition it renumbered the partitons one lower and now get an error saying" cant find hda8", which is now hda7 How can I fix this .
    Thanks in advance

Linux Engineer
    Can you boot into mandrake without a problem, or you simply cant to anything? Or is it only when you insert the floppy to boot into MDK that you get the error about hda8...

Provide as much information on the problem as possible

Thanks
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    No I have the bootloader on the floppy & when I boot up it stops at a console saying cant find,hda8 and prompts for root password and fix problem. From here I dont know where to go. It mentioned somewhere about /etc/fstab where I think it may be able to be fixed .I used vi to edit and changed hda8 to hda7 but could not save using the command :wq

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Problem solved. Around about way but got it. Installed Mandrake on spare partition hda9 in control centre mounted hda7 to /var went there as root and edited /var/etc/fstab changing hda8 to hda7 and swap from hda9 to hda8 . alls well thanks