Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello mates, I have recently installed mandrake Linux 10.1 on my laptop.I have a 60 GB harddisk on which i already have wondows xp sp-2 running.I made my hard disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bootscreen doesnt get deleted

hello mates,

I have recently installed mandrake Linux 10.1 on my laptop.I have a 60 GB harddisk on which i already have wondows xp sp-2 running.I made my hard disk into 3 partitions --c:,d:,e:--30,15,15.so i installed this mandrake linux 10.1 on E drive.after that i wanted to remove that so i installed the mandrake cd1 and deleted the partition and made it into windows ntfs partition and restarted my system.luckily i got my E drive back in windows xp BUT BUT since i used DUAL boot the linux bootscreen still pop ups and i have to scroll down and click "windows" option for my windows to boot up everytime .Idont know how to remove that linux bootscreen.I also formatted my E drive but of no use what should i do?

Put in your XP install cd and boot from it, go to the repair console, (the f key I think, correct me if I am wrong), and type
    Code:
    fixmbr
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Put in your XP install cd and boot from it, go to the repair console, (the f key I think, correct me if I am wrong), and type
    Code:
    fixmbr
    dylunio
    thanks mate i will try that .thanks a lot.hope that will solve my problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    (the f key I think, correct me if I am wrong)

dylunio
    I think it's the R key for "Recovery Console", but I haven't looked at that screen in a while. Also, FIXMBR is all caps.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    hello again I tried that but i dont know when should i prees the R key xactly.Actually after loading all the set up files it is searching for previous microsoft o.s but found none.and so its telln me to install windows xpp it not showing any repair screen as such.plzz help plzz

Quote Originally Posted by avisavis
    hello again I tried that but i dont know when should i prees the R key xactly.Actually after loading all the set up files it is searching for previous microsoft o.s but found none.and so its telln me to install windows xpp it not showing any repair screen as such.plzz help plzz
    There should be a screen before you get to the actual install that says "Press the R key to enter a Recovery Console..."

If you have a floppy drive you could just download a boot disc and run fdisk /MBR as well.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Thanks for the corrections techieMoe!
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2