Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not sure if this should be in Linux Newbie (which I am) or the Mandrake forums (which I've installed)... anyhoo, here goes. I've just installed Mandrake 10.1 and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing boot order and another question

I'm not sure if this should be in Linux Newbie (which I am) or the Mandrake forums (which I've installed)... anyhoo, here goes.

I've just installed Mandrake 10.1 and it looks the business. Its my first venture into Linux and I'm very impressed so far, to be honest I was expecting everything to be a little less 'user friendly'...

I have a boot loader that pops up and gives me the options of Linux, failsafe or windows.

The default is linux. Is there anyway to change that to default to Windows as my missus is giving me ear ache that she wants to run the computer in windows and she doesn't want to have to stand and watch it and then change to windows on the menu..

Thats the first question, the second one is this..

After installing Linux last night it didn't find my modem. I use a Fujitsu ADSL USB Modem.

How do I go about installing this so that I can get online via linux. The CD drivers that come with it are only Windows and Mac. Do I need to download drivers from a website and then burn a CD in a certain way that linux will recognise? Or is there another way of installing the modem? Basically, how does someone install something on linux...

I read somewhere about 'rpm' files or something..

Is there a noddy guide to this anywhere?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, I know these questions may sound lame but everyone has to start somewhere right?

Cheers

JT

Linux Engineer
    I have a boot loader that pops up and gives me the options of Linux, failsafe or windows.
    the file is : /etc/lilo.conf
    change the default OS to load in there, save it, enjoy.

I read somewhere about 'rpm' files or something..
    Is there a noddy guide to this anywhere?
    here's all the info you need regarding this

I know these questions may sound lame but everyone has to start somewhere right?
    damn right! All started as nooby :P
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Ugo

I'm reading, digesting and learning now... thanks for the link and the advice on the boot loader.

Cheers

JT

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Right... I've managed to change the bootloader sequence, thanks for that...

I'm struggling a bit with installing my modem though. I've got hold of the 'tar' file and put that on a floppy. I've booted into Mandrake and 'un-tar'ed the file to a folder. The instructions that came with it say the following:

Code:
    Tip: make sure you are using g++ for the compilation
    Where's g++ I can't find it...

Code:
    Untar the files, go to the save location and type "make"
    Type 'make' into what?? If 'make' is a filename, the only file in there similar is Makefile or makeconf

Code:
    When that has finished, type "make install"
    Again.. type 'make install' into what?

Anyone any ideas? Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Hi,
    Where's g++ I can't find it...
    Code:
    urpmi g++
    Type 'make' into what??
    In terminal, you need to type ./configure first (usualy)

Again.. type 'make install' into what?
    same as make, into terminal.

Not that for make install AND urpmi, you will need to be admin. so type in the command
    Code:
    su
    type your root password
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Ugo

Sorry to keep pestering but its still doesn't seem to be working. I've copied the text from my Terminal Window for you to look at to see if you can see what I'm doing wrong.

The first bit of text is the instructions that came with the driver... the next part is what I tried to type in to the terminal window...

Code:
    All you have to do is to run make then make install.
    After edit /etc/ppp/peers/adsl file to change user name, vpi and vci 
    according to your provider and account.
    Then just add a line like 'yourusername * yourpass *' in the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file (keep all starts).
    thats all
    you can use startmodem script to start the modem.

[root@localhost eciadsl-usermode_0.5]# make
    cc -Wall -g   -c -o eci-load1.o eci-load1.c
    make: cc: Command not found
    make: *** [eci-load1.o] Error 127
    [root@localhost eciadsl-usermode_0.5]# make install
    cc -Wall -g   -c -o eci-load1.o eci-load1.c
    make: cc: Command not found
    make: *** [eci-load1.o] Error 127
    [root@localhost eciadsl-usermode_0.5]# dir
    adsl              debian                 eci-eeprom.c              eci_wan3.bin      modemeci.gif  README
    BUGS              DEBIAN                 eci_firm_kit_wanadoo.bin  eci_wan3.dmt.bin  modem.h       README.FR
    build             eciadsl-usermode.spec  eci-load1.c               install           pppoeci.c     remove_dabusb
    check-hdlc-bug.c  eciconf.sh             eci-load2.c               install.fr        pusb.c        startmodem
    check-hdlc.c      eci_data.pl            eci_uc.pl                 makeconfig        pusb.h        TODO
    CVS               eci-doctor.sh          eci_vendor_device.pl      Makefile          pusb-linux.c
    [root@localhost eciadsl-usermode_0.5]# make Makefile
    make: Nothing to be done for `Makefile'.
    [root@localhost eciadsl-usermode_0.5]#
    Any ideas?