Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hello, Dave. As I remember installation of 9.1, and it will be probably the same, I think you should use expert mode installation and select to MANUALLY partition the disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DEV HDB

Hello, Dave.

As I remember installation of 9.1, and it will be probably the same,
    I think you should use expert mode installation and select to MANUALLY partition the disk with DiskDruid (I think).

So you can mount those partitions (or you can mount them later, after installation) to some place you want ( not basic points like / , /usr, /home etc ... ), without need of formating it.

Linux Enthusiast

Re: I repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Holy
    RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
    crc error
    Kernel panic: VFS Unable to mount root FS on unknown-block (1,3)
    I'm not 100% sure, but this sounds like you having trouble with your RAM chips. Unless there are a few lines you have not parsed in to your message above.

Just Joined!

Well

I am considering "adding more RAM", but seems OK and enough.

Well,
    but it (the RAM chip problem) doesn't explain WHY install-kernel from 9.1 distro uncompresses itself OK to RAMDISK, while 10.1 does not !

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, yes it does actually.
    Because the kernel from 9.1 was quite much smaller than the std kernel in 10.1.
    It might be so that you just hit straight on a bad memory cell with the new kernel. A RAM drive is quite aggresive and un-fault-tolerant AFAIK.

And the error message claims "CRC error at RAM disk"
    If you have multiple RAM chips, just try to switch places onboard, and see if the error is still there, it's a QnD way to troubleshoot, but then you'll know if it is a bad memory chip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2