Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
both pata and raid is turned off in the bios. i will double check that though. i am going to try the wireless option tonight. thanks -robin cherry-...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

both pata and raid is turned off in the bios. i will double check that though. i am going to try the wireless option tonight.

thanks
    -robin cherry-

Just Joined!
    well it wasn't the keyboard. i had legacy support turned on for my pata drives. thanks to your help i am currently writing from my brand new madrake 10.1 install.

thank you.
    -robin cherry-

Just Joined!
    By the way, this worked for me, I was using a wireless mouse and it did not want to use it. thanks.

Just Joined!
    I have been having the same problem, I also was burning the CD's with nero 6 so I am going to try and burn them with Alcohol 120% and see if it works for me like it did the other person that posted. If not does any1 have any other ideas as my keyboard and mouse is just a normal PS2 keybord and mouse so it shouldn't cause a problem should it.

The other thing I noticed is the text that shows up goes past the keyboard and mouse then has problems like interupt lossed when it is trying to do something with the HD/CD-ROM drives.

[EDIT] Sorry should realy say I concidered a corrupt burn as a possibilty it has been burned with 2 recorders 1 at 4x the other at 8x lowest they will go, the hard drives and cd's are all IDE drives, its a AMD 2400+ XP CPU on a AsRock K7S41GX Motherboard, NVIDEA GeForce FX 5200 GFX, my ADSL modem is a Sagem Fast 800 e2 which is USB but it says is compatable and doesn't seam to get as far as trying to detect anything USB anyway.

Hi MttJocy,
    Are your drives SATA or SCSI based, are you trying to run a RAID setup? If you are, you will need some drivers, goto www.opendrivers.com and search for the necessary driver.

Or, other things could be, do you have multiple hard disks / cd roms plugged into different ports? If so, is the master/slave jumper settings correct on the drives. Are the drives able to be detected by the BIOS, does the SMART give any warnings.

Just Joined!
    How would I know if it was SATA? Sorry im a little new to this and dont know a huge ammount about that sort of stuff.

They are a Excelstor Technology J640 & A Maxtor 4R060J0, they both show up in the bios fine and SMART shows their status as ok.

[EDIT] Well it wasn't a problem with using nero 6 to burn the disks in my case, still having the exact same problem.

Ok from Googling, I know that the Maxtor is PATA based (Linux should be fine with this drive), however, the Excelstor Technology J640 I cannot tell which drive it is, apparaently Excelstor Technology says that it was built as both PATA and SATA.

You can tell that a drive is SATA based by its connectors if the connector is roughly 2.5" (inch) wide, then it is PATA compare this connector to the one which goes to your cd-rom drive, if they are the same, it is PATA. Else if it is 0.5" wide, it is SATA.

Are you trying to run a dual booting system with Windows and linux? If you are, install linux to the PATA device (maxtor) and have windows on the SATA device. Also make sure that in the system BIOS, that the Maxtor drive is first to boot up. AND check the jumper on the Maxtor drive to see if it is set to Master ir Slave (If it is set to CSL, then set it to Master).

Just Joined!
    OK, the Maxtor is the drive I wanted to install Mandrake on anyway, so if just swap the Master/Slave jumpers on the drives and change the boot device it should be fine yes, and Mandrake will still see XP and offer the dual boot?

OK, maybe I need to ask some more here im sorry, I tried to use Linspire which it turns out doesn't like either of my ADSL Modems, nor does it like PPPoA connections, thus why I wan't mandrake, will this cause a problem if I swap the drives because the orgional MBR has been modified will windows still run ok or do I somehow need to remove it, if I do how do I do that?

In answer to your 1st question, yes, this should happen in theory. However, theory is not the same as practice. The only way to be sure is to try it out.

In answer to your 2nd question, You need the correct driver for your ADSL modem in order for it to work. Mandrake supports PPPoA and you should not have any trouble in getting your modem up and running. Goto www.opendrivers.com to get a driver for your modem or google your modem for the correct driver. If you still have trouble with PPPoA, try PPPoE, all you have to do is connect the modem through a spare Ethernet port and use the modems remote management software to configure it.

In answer to your third question, when you install Mandrake, it will fixup the MBR for you so that you can still boot into windows as well as linux. In the event of some unforseen catastrophe, just reinstall windows.

Note: Before trying any of these, backup your data.

Just Joined!
    OK, I will give this a try then, there is nothing critical on the machene anway if it does kill anything it will just be hammering the net time to get it back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast