Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Update: Tried swapping the drives no effect, tried using only the drive that apparently should work no effect, tried just using the other drive no effect. Still exactly the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Update: Tried swapping the drives no effect, tried using only the drive that apparently should work no effect, tried just using the other drive no effect.

Still exactly the same problem, god I really am hating this computer at the minute, it is really entering the at risk catagory for being murdered.

/me returns to the drawing board

Ok, Here's what you do.
    Completley unplug the Exelstor drive whilst leaving the Maxtior connected. Double check the jumper on the Maxtor and set it to Master.
    Boot up the computer. Press DEL to enter Setup
    Check BIOS to see if it can detect the drive (Select something along the lines of IDE autodetect)
    Make CD-ROM 1st boot device and Hard disk the 2nd boot device
    Insert CD 1
    Save Settings and Restart computer
    Enter Mandrake Install

Just out of curiosity, do you get any disk errors when you boot up the computer?

EDIT: One more thing, did you check the MD5SUM to see if the cds were downloaded properly?

Just Joined!
    I did try disconnecting the other drive thats what I mean't when I said that I tried with just the drive that worked, bios detected it ok, and yes I verified the MD5SUM.

So I come to the conclusion that it appears it isnt really the HD's that are the problem more the symptom, gaud I hate computers sometimes.

[EDIT] Oh by the way I tried leaving it all night to see what it would do and it did load eventually don't know after how long but then just stopped again after selecting language, waited 20 mins no continuing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I really can't see a problem with any of your hardware, all of them are supported under linux. When you used Linspire, you could install fine right? Without any of these problems? The only thing that I can think of is, to try another distro.

One more thing, is your modem plugged in while you are trying to installl mandrake? If so, unplug it and see what happens.

Also check in your bios what the harddisks are detected as, if it says LBA or something like that, set it to auto.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it is auto, and I ran badblocks on the drive I want to install to the Maxtor which is now master and that reported no errors, will have to look for another distro then and give that a try, as for the modem I have tried it without, in fact I have tried it with about as many different ways I could remove/plug in/disable/enable whatever as I could bare to without totally losing it with the whole machene all the same, im thinking it obviously doesn't like something bigtime.

Whatever it is must be somewhere on the mainboard maybe RAM or something like that I really don't know, all I know is I elimited both HD's, both CD-ROM's, both possible ADSL modems, the on board sound, graphics card, on board network, FDC, all peripherals inc keyb & mouse, basically anything I could actually disable or remove or swap for something I could borrow.

Leaving me with the Motherboard/CPU/RAM/IDE Controllers, can't understand why it would dislike any of them and I would say any of them being faulty would not be a likly possibility either, I am sure that windoze would not be happy either if they were of course if it could even pass POST.

Well I will try another distro which will work with my ADSL configuration then, have been told SuSE will but it seams that is only avialable at a charge so maybe when I have the money to buy it, although I will give their evaluation option a try first.

thank you for all your help anyway seams it just isn't going to be the one for me.

SuSE is a good choice, but if you are looking for a low cost alternative, try fedora Core 3 or Morphix, or Debian. I recomend that you try Morphix as it supports most ADSL modems and is more windows like than most other distros (Read, will support hardware).

I am sorry that I could not be of further assistance in solving your problem.

AlexK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3