Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i downloaded a brand new iso via ftp. i did not extract it. i checked the md5 checksum in iso buster it checked out. i burned it directly to dvd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake install problem

i downloaded a brand new iso via ftp. i did not extract it. i checked the md5 checksum in iso buster it checked out. i burned it directly to dvd via roxio 6. that didn't work for reasons explained later. so i burned it using clone dvd. i did not extract it prior to this, i used the "record from disc image" option in roxio and the burn from iso in clone dvd. i have tried burning it at a slower speed. i have treid both the iso cds and the iso dvd. i get the same problem with all of them. if i explore to the dvd drive in my computer i see the mandrake logo.

i am installing it on a fresh slave harddrive. i wiped it of redhat 9 before this installation. it boots from the dvd and goes to the first option screen. i can choose install or options. it doesn't seem to matter what method i use to install. when i get to the welcome to mandrake screen with the blue bars at the top and bottom it just sits there and endlessly does nothing. no ram activity, no harddrive activity, no dvd activity. the exact same thing happens with the cds. i have tried downloading fresh iso's numerous times from ftp and bittorrent. no difference.

i previosly had redhat 9 running on this hardrive i wiped it and i am starting fresh on the slave drive. could the problem be with roxio? my computer? mandrake ****ing up? i am getting pretty frustrated because i am doing everyting that is recommended. and it isn't working. any suggestions?

i am on a:
    intel 3.0w/ht and 800mhz fsb
    1gb of corsair pro series ram
    MSI Neo PLS mb
    MSI GeForceFX 5600xt tvdr
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 with windows XPPro Master
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 empty for mandrake Slave
    Plextor PX708-A DVD +- RW
    LG 52X CdRom
    Built in realtek Network and AC'97 Sound.

Any Ideas are much appreciated.

thankyou
    -robin cherry-

Just Joined!
    I had similiar problems installing mandrake 10.1, would start the copying files part and then give me errors about unable to isntall packages etc. I was burning the cd's with nero 6 (on cdrw's). reburned them again using nero 6, same results. so then I erased/formatted the cdrw's and burned the isos with alcohol 120% and worked perfect.

Just Joined!
    I am getting the same sort of problem, what's up with this? By the way I have corsair RAM and a Seagate 7200.7 also, although I know it's not the HDD because I tried an IDE HDD, perhaps I will swich out my RAM with same generic stuff and give it a shot, will get back to you later on it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    an update:
    i tried same dvd with a friends dell desktop. no problem it made it past this stage and was ready to go. this must be some sort of hardware issue with mandrake. should i install it differently or unplug anything to install it?

a reply from someone who can actually help would be great. it seems that the helper-helpee ratio is a little off here. everyone, myself included just got here. more of an observation than a criticism really, no offence intended.

-robin cherry-

Hi,
    After the welcome to Mandrake Screen, the system tries to detect the keyboard and mouse. In some cases (Especially for wireless and USB keyboards and mice), the system cannot detect it and may hang. Try using a generic PS2 Keyboard and Mouse to see if this makes any difference.

Just Joined!
    thanks i'll try that. i do have a wireless. it did work fine with redhat though, would that make a difference?

-robo-

Just Joined!
    one question though. i hit enter on the wireless keyboard to bring me to the next step where it freezes so that is clearly working. could it be the mouse alone?

-robo-

Yes,
    that is a possiility. Though just to be sure, try replacing both the keyboard and mouse temproarily.

Just Joined!
    i will i just have to convince my roomamate to lend it to me first. i will try it tonight. in the meantime though, here is the link to my mainboard. it is the msi neo2-pls i should have mentioned that it is running a 478 processor before. do you see any potential install issues with any of that hardware
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=528

thanks for all ther help
    -robo-

A Potential issue that i can see with your other hardware is that are your hard disks SATA based or PATA based? If they are SATA based, you will need to povide a SATA driver for linux here is a link to a site which contains SATA drivers for linux:
    http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/21...ATA-Linux.html

and make sure that your drves are not setup for RAID configuration.

However, I think that it may be a keyboard or mouse problem.

All other hardware seems fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast