Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed mandrake 10.0 and i have an adsl at home which is using pppoe connection or whatever. i made all the set ups from gnomes control center but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to connect to internet from Mandrake 10 ???

I just installed mandrake 10.0 and i have an adsl at home which is using pppoe connection or whatever. i made all the set ups from gnomes control center but i couldnt find the dialup program.

i installed the kppp from the cd but its very complicated and there is no set p for adsl s i think.

pls help.

tia

Just Joined!
    http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial...and-Linux/4566

^mans for setting up your asymetric DSL with linux

Just Joined!
    that link is nothing more than a story. sorry but didnt help...

Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.2 & Inet connect

I have a Mandrake 10.2 setup using a DWL510 wireless adapter. Using ndiswrapper, this
    card works very well except in Mandrake 10.2 the same initialization code I've always used
    creates wlan0 and i dhclient returns a a good connect. However nothing... mozilla, firefox, seamonkey etc will not connect to the internet. I know this thread is quite old but I'm hoping to get a hint as to what I can do to make this Mandrake puppy connect to the Inet.

Thanks

Ted in Atlanta

In the browserbar, type:
    about:config
    then type in the appearing filterbar
    ipv6
    and set "disable ipv6" from false to true with a double click on the value. Does it work then?
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

... also consider using ping which is a simple but powerful tool. For example:

ping www.google.com - or try - ping 64.233.183.103

That way you're working independently of using a browser for a while.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys for your quick responses.... I tried both true & false with the ipv6 thingie but it
    did not change anything. I tried both suggested pings .... got a good response from both!!
    I hope this means my connection is OK. My knowledge of Linux & network are sub-noobie
    so I'm really lost.... I have disabled the on-board LAN in my BIOS... had a connection problem with WINXP but never in Linux. Is there some obscure FIREWALL thing that might be getting in the way ??? I've not been able to find any reference to firewall in the menus.
    This is my first bout with Mandrake so I'm still feeling my way.
    Do appreciate the help. This booting distros to communicate is a real PITA.

Cheers

Ted in Atlanta

Take a look at your /etc/resolv.conf file. There should be some DNS server entries, different from 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1. If not, you should try to add some DNS server entries there as root/administrator. Also start the MCC (aka. Configure your computer). Enable from the top menu (preferences) the expert-mode (don't remember if that feature was already there in the 10.x versions). In the MCC, you can check if the firewall is enabled and if it is configured okay.

Also: edit your /etc/modprobe.conf file. Add the following two lines to it (after the other "alias" entries):

alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

Getting a positive ping is a good sign. Now we only have to fine-tune the stuff. If these steps dont help, then you should tell us if your networking device has some internal firewall that perhaps blocks things or if the MTU/MRU settings got altered somehow. Using factory defaults should basically always work.

Edit: How have you set up ndiswrapper? I hope like that link (and sublinks) explain: http://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=30850
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    This post is being done with Firefox under Mandrake 10.2... I wish I could say what specific action fixed it but I don't know. I played around with the ipv6 thing both true and false and did not get around to checking all the other suggestions you guys made.
    I did compile a modem (dialup) driver which was not related to the Internet challenge.
    I did re-boot and later on I went thru my usual script to load ndiswrapper, do iwconfig
    to configure my card, and last a dhcpcd to get an IP. Nothing different except...
    when I tried Fierfox it worked. !! Konqueror also works.... I do intend to save thes posts as I can learn a lot from the suggestions yu guys made.

Thanks again for the help and incentives.

Ted in Atlanta

It might have started working because you restarted Firefox. Konqueror is usually the first thing to start working if you have a good connection. It's an excellent little browser imho.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso