Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I manualy create user accounts, wihtout using the useradd command? I think is has to do with modifying the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group, but am not sure. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

User accounts

How can I manualy create user accounts, wihtout using the useradd command? I think is has to do with modifying the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group, but am not sure.
    Any help would be great!

why?

You COULD add users manually by modifying the /etc/passwd file, but useradd or adduser (depending on which Mandrake uses, I don't remember) is a better method. The Control Center will even set the defaults properly for you if you use it, making it possibly the best solution.

If you just want to learn what the tools are actually doing, then I always recommend using the proper tool and then taking a look at what has changed in the config file.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

user accounts

Ya, i know how to use the adduser command, i just have an assignmnet question that wants me to give step by step instructions for doing it manualy without using commands. I'll try your advice about looking at the changes in the config files, that should do it i hope.
    thanks much

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close