Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Mandrake 10.0 on a new Dell Optiplext GX280 with the Integrated Broadcom 57XX Gigabit adapter. I downloaded the driver from www.broadcom.com in zip format, unzipped and burned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbiee needing help Installing NIC driver of Mandrake 10.0

I just installed Mandrake 10.0 on a new Dell Optiplext GX280 with the Integrated Broadcom 57XX Gigabit adapter.

I downloaded the driver from www.broadcom.com in zip format, unzipped and burned the contents to cd (I did all this from a Windows machine). I then copied the data from cd to /tmp. The contents of the zip file were a .RPM, .GZ, 2 .TXT files. I then unzipped the .GZ file to /tmp. That folder contains a few folders (Network Install, Patches, SRC) and a few TXT files.

I need to figure out how to install the new driver (i believe its in the source folder) so I can get my NIC card going.

Any advice would be greatyl appriciated. I am a newbie at Linux.

Thanks

Mark C
    mlchris2@msn.com

Just Joined!
    Hi, Mark-
    Being new to Linux myself I had a similar problem, only I was attempting to install a new NIC where there was already a network port onboard. I never could figure that one out so I left the on-board as the only alternative, removing the new card. I believe that MDK should be able to find the driver on its own.

One thing you have to do is to go into the "Configure your Computer" section and ascertain that the NIC is recognized and enabled. Mandrake should do the rest.
    Good luck!

Linux Guru

Re: Newbiee needing help Installing NIC driver of Mandrake 1

Quote Originally Posted by mlchris2
    I need to figure out how to install the new driver (i believe its in the source folder) so I can get my NIC card going.

Any advice would be greatyl appriciated. I am a newbie at Linux.
    This link may be useful, mostly in section 3.d. Note that where they refer to " ls /lib/modules/`uname -r` ", you may need to do: ls /lib/modules/ to see what is a valid substitute for `uname -r`
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all your help. My main goal is to learn Linux. I purchased a brand new Dell for my Linux machine, to same my self time, I decided to run windows on the new box. I put Mandrake 10.0 on my old pc and everything is up and working.

eventually I will need the info to get the driver installed. For now, its all about learing Linux.

thanks all

Mark