Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I recently had a problem where I acidentally told my printer to print a buttload of stuff that I didn't want printed. No matter what I tried I couldn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Killing Print Jobs???

Ok, I recently had a problem where I acidentally told my printer to print a buttload of stuff that I didn't want printed. No matter what I tried I couldn't cancel the print job.

I attempted unplugging my printer (no power switch on the thing.)
    I attempted hooking it up to a windows machine to clear it
    I attempted pushing it's single button over and over to no avail
    I searched all the manuals and came up empty
    I used the linux print accessories to no avail...

I finally managed to stop the damn thing by re-installing it, but the next time I make a mistake I don't want to have to waste an additional 5 minutes uninstalling and reinstalling my printer.

How do I cancel print jobs in linux?

Specs:
    Mandrake 9.1
    HP Laserjet 1100 (AKA spawn of satan, do NOT get this model...)

I don't think any of the other specs will help much.

Please assist!

Thanks in advance-

Bill

Linux Guru

Re: Killing Print Jobs???

Quote Originally Posted by afroguy013
    How do I cancel print jobs in linux?
    Oddly enough, you want the cancel command. At the command line, do: lpstat That will show a list of your current print jobs. You should see in the left column, the name of your printer queue followed by a number. Do cancel xxx to kill it:
    Code:
    $ lpstat
    laserjet-25      ....    ....    other stuff
    $ cancel 25
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    Thank you SOOO much!!! Though it is kinda embarrasing that I didn't figure that on my own...

I'll have to try that this afternoon to make sure it works right!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by afroguy013
    Thank you SOOO much!!! Though it is kinda embarrasing that I didn't figure that on my own...
    Don't ask how many pages I wasted before I figured it out! I think you may be able to skip the 'lpstat' step and use 'cancel -a' to cancel all of your jobs in the printer queue.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Linux Newbie
    Ummm, problem #2. When I do the lpstat, no queues show up (I purposly put up a print job to try this) and I can't cancel what isn't there. More help anyone?

It should be showing up in the console when I launch it from the GUI, right, or is there something I'm misunderstanding about the console in GUI?

I use Gnome and OpenOffice.org if that helps too.

Thanks again...

Linux Guru
    That's a puzzle. If you setup everything the "normal" way, cancel should work.... The only thing I can think of is some permissions thing. So, what I would do to investigate further is this: Open a console and 'su -' to get root priviledge and then send a print job of a couple of pages. Maybe interrupt it by pulling a plug or something to buy some time without wasting paper. And then try lpstat as root. If the printer wants to print, I think it should show-up in the queue. Otherwise it might have left the queue and gone completely into the printer's ram. You might want to double-check the printer setup, too. There should not be a compatibility problem with an HP laserjet. I think you should be able to access the setup and documentation at http://localhost:631 which is on your machine, not the internet.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'