Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I installed Mandrake on my 200gb hdd recently whilst Windows is on my 80gb and Mandrake will go through the shut down proceedure, but then you have to manually ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

shut down problem (update: fixed)

Hi,

I installed Mandrake on my 200gb hdd recently whilst Windows is on my 80gb and Mandrake will go through the shut down proceedure, but then you have to manually switch off by the 'start up' button. Most computers these days switch off completely themselves, don't they? There is probably some setting that's got mucked up but I'm not sure where to look.

I have Mandrake 10.0; I hope someone can help me as I forget to wait when I shut down, and end up leaving the box running all day!

Elle

In your bootloader config, you probably don't have acpi on. In Mandrake Control Center, when you go to the bootloader config module, there's a check box for it.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Hi,

Thanks for replying but although you were right, the box was unchecked, since checking it & powering down the problem still remains.

There are 2 options on that window - 'enable Apci' which I've checked & 'Force no APIC' which is unchecked - is that correct?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That should work. Did you go through the rest of the process for the bootloader modification? If not, it didn't apply the settings (lilo has to be reinstalled to the bootloader for the settings to take effect).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Manually edit the file /etc/lilo.conf and change acpi to acpi=force. Then run the command

Code:
    lilo -v
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Same thing except done manually. Might be better, though, in case there's an error you would see the output.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    Manually edit the file /etc/lilo.conf and change acpi to acpi=force. Then run the command

Code:
    lilo -v
    Jeremy
    I don't appear to have the file /etc/lilo at all. I've also been googling & someone else with the same problem was told to type modprobe apm in a terminal. Mine just says 'FATAL: Module apm not found.'

I've since been trying to find out how I actually install the apm as I guess it's important. Can't seem to find it on the installation disc.

it's not /etc/lilo, it's /etc/lilo.conf

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Here's an example /etc/lilo.conf:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot
    # WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

default="PCLinuxOS"
    boot=/dev/sda
    map=/boot/map
    keytable=/boot/livecd.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    disk=/dev/sda bios=0x80
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-oci7
    label="PCLinuxOS"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-oci7.img
    append="nomce acpi=on devfs=nomount splash=silent"
    vga=788
    read-only
    other=/dev/sda1
    label="WindowsXP"

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    it's not /etc/lilo, it's /etc/lilo.conf
    Yes I realise that, I was typing in a hurry & missied it off. I get error message file does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast