Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello ! I decided to use Mandrake 10.1 on a few computers at my work place.. There is a network PtP of around 30 computers... 1. How in the world ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux at work! A few questions...

Hello !
    I decided to use Mandrake 10.1 on a few computers at my work place..
    There is a network PtP of around 30 computers...
    1. How in the world can I configure and use a network printer ?
    2. Does anyone know a network browsing program that looks and feels like "My Network Places" in Windows XP ? (smb4k is out of the question...) I dont want users to right click and browse to the mount point...
    3. How can I get back the Start Menu in KDE ? Now I have the KDE default menu and I want back The Mandrake default one...
    (the one that has a little less main menus and comes default when you first install Mandrake ).
    So if you have aby ideeas I'd be pleased to hear them !
    Thanks !

1. The network printer can be configured in the Mandrake Control Center.

2. Try LinNeighborhood for network browsing (I prefer SMB4K, but to each his own).

3. Not sure what you did to change the menu
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    1. Tried that ! Didn't work .. (somehow it needs one of the install cd's, but when it is in drive it doesn't recognize it as one )
    2. SMB4K and LinNeighborhood look and feel quite the same...
    I dont think you ever used Windows and if you did, you didn't double-clicked My network Places...
    I want a program that does the same thing... I want users to see network shares and access them just like in windows... No "mount" command and any looking for the mount points...
    I tried LISA, but I still have to write "smb:/" in konqueror... And I dont like this...And it is not that reliable...
    3. Classic KDE Menu has these menus:
    Development, Games, Graphics, Multimedia, Internet, Office, Settings etc... (about 15 items at least)
    The menu that comes up when you first install Mandrake 10.1 and enter KDE has something like this:
    Settings, Applications etc ... (about five)...This menu I want back...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you're having trouble with the install cd's, you could add download source via urpmi for the main packages...this site will walk you through it (be sure to hit the Media Manager in the Control Center and uncheck the cd's as install sources):

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

I can assure you that I have indeed double-clicked on My Network Places (although I felt a bit soiled afterward ). The problem is that there just aren't that many network browsing apps that I know of, and the ones that are out there didn't follow the Windows "look and feel" for the most part.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson