Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Typically such older PC's BIOS can't recognize anything over 32 gig. However, depending on the hard drive you may be able to place a limiting jumper to limit the drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Typically such older PC's BIOS can't recognize anything over 32 gig. However, depending on the hard drive you may be able to place a limiting jumper to limit the drive to a smaller size (on most newer drives, it is limited to 32 gig, you 120 gig drive should have one such jumper).

However, try installing windows on the 8 gig drive to see it is actually working and then install mandrake over this. Attempt this step beofre trying a different drive.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I would also recommend you to first download the appropriate HDD managing tool from the webpage of your HDD manufacturer.
    If it is Maxtor here is the link for the program called POWERMAX. Just run this program under Windows and it will make the appropriate boot disk for you. Then restart in DOS and test thoroughly your drive for errors. Then you will definitely know if it is OK or not.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Ma...&downloadID=22

The same procedure is for every other HDD manufacturer. Here are the few other links for utilities of other manufacturers.

Seagate:

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

Utility: SeaTools Desktop

IBM / Hitachi:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Utility: Drive Fitness Test (ver. 4.02)

Western Digital:

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&swid=1

Utility: Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows or for DOS. If you already have Windows installed then you can choose for Windows otherwise for DOS.

Hope this would help a little bit.

Edin

Just Joined!
    i've tried to boot off of windows server2003, i chose to install it then the screen went black, and i know the disk is good because i used it for my other computer. i also tried to install windows xp, that screen also went black, i think that may be because i don't have enough ram to run those windows???
    what if i buy a new hd, let's say a 20gb or 30gb and i put it in my machine. would i be able to just pop the mandrake dvd in and install, or do i need to format the hd some how?? also, if i buy a small hd would i be able to load windows on it first and then just install mandrake over, what would be the best option??..what's the quickest way i can get mandrake up and running

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK, if I undrestand you right, you tried to install different Windows OS on this 8GB HDD and it would always go black at the beginning.

It is possible that the HDD is not the problem but I would say the amount of your RAM (128 MB) should not cause this errors either. I mean 128 MB is not enough for XP or 2003 but you would not receive these kind of errors.

Perhaps the problem lies in the VGA card or memory. I would suggest you to download memory benchmark tools from the internet and test thoroughly your memory. Just type "memory diagnostic" in Google and you will receive a few good links where you can find these programs.
    You will have to make a DOS bootable diskette and then copy one of these programs on this diskette.

Also, after that it would be good to try some other VGA card. Put some AGP or PCI card in the computer just to test this possibility.

I mean if you have problems to install Windows OS than you will definitely have bigger problems with Linux. So, try to isolate and sort out this cause of error and then install Windows XP. If you succeed with that (error free) then, I would suggest go and try it with Mandrake Linux.

Edin

I agree with edin, if the windows installation goes blank like that, it is most likely a video or monitor problem.

Just Joined!
    thanks everyone for your help. my problem was the hard drive. it was a locked xbox hd. i forgot that. now i have mandrake running. it's great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2