Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have an hp pavilion 4440, 128mb ram, 334mhz, 8gb hd i have no os on the machine right now. I have mandrake 10.1 official on dvd, i boot up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake 10.1 official installation problem

i have an hp pavilion 4440, 128mb ram, 334mhz, 8gb hd

i have no os on the machine right now. I have mandrake 10.1 official on dvd, i boot up off it. i come to the screen where it says press f1 for more options or press enter to install or upgrade. i hit enter to install..it checks everything, loads into memory, then the next screen is the language screen, i chose english, american. next screen is the license screen, i choose accept... now is the problem..right after this it says configuring ide and checks things, but an error comes up. it says

"error-no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. please check your hardware for the cause of this problem."

what does this mean? do i need to do something to the dvd? any kind of help will be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

Is your hard drive set as Master? Is it formatted? Is your hard drive detected in BIOS? Is it set as a 2nd or 3rd boot device? Is the cable securely connected? Does SMART give any errors?

Just looking at your system specs, it may not be enough to run Mandrake 10.1 off. This distro is generally suitable for newer systems (~700 mhz and 256 MB RAM)

Just Joined!
    yes the hard drive is located in the bios, yes all connectors are secure, yes it is master, and how would i go about formatting it with no os, i'm used to formatting from windows, when loading a new os i would format the the drive, how would i do this on an empty drive...do you recommend somethign else besides mandrake 10.1, i thought that was the best for beginners

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To fromat without OS, just insert a old windows bootdisk and type:format c:/u or somehow boot into dos and type the same command.

If you don't have access to a bootdisk, search your hard drive manufacturer site e.g. segate, maxtor etc for a formatting tool. Copy this tool onto a floppy and reboot the PC, follow the program instructions to format the drive.

Mandrake is good for beginers and pros alike, it's just that sometimes it is fussy about hardware. A good distro for beginers is Morphix/Knoppix or . It comes as a live CD (no installation necessary, as it runs of ram), but you have the option of installing it to the hard drive. Xandros is another good distro for beginers.

Just Joined!
    i booted into dos it gave me the a: i tried the command you said and i got bad command name, so i hit esc to get out of the a: and typed the command again and same thing happened?? i really wanted to be able to use mandrake, but if you think it's not the way to go because of my specs on the machine, then i'll switch to something smaller, but if i can get past this problem and hopefully finish the install, that would be perfect.

Ok, just try format c: forget the /u, also make sure that the file format.com is available on the dos disk.

Well, theoretically Mandrake should run albiet a bit slowly. You shouldn't have any real problems as long as you use a lightweight theme manager such as IceWM.

Just Joined!
    alright i'll try that right now, is this a hard drive problem, because i could switch this hd with a 120gb hd i have that's empty. also if i purchase 512mb of ram to put in this machine would that help much or would the processor still make it very slow?

Just Joined!
    i just made this ms-dos boot disk floppy today, so it should be valid. i put it in and booted from it again tried the command you said same thing happened and i couldn't get to format.com...should i try a different hd?

It could be a hard drive problem. You can try another disk if you wish to.

Can you see a format.com or similar on the floppy in windows? If you can, then it appears that the disk is bad and won''t communicate with the OS. Before throwing out this, disk try to install windows and see if that works. Then install Mandrake over the windows (overwirte the partition table in mandrake and format).

Adding RAM will help a bit, but you do not need to spend money for 512MB, another 128 - 256 should be ok. The main drawback is still with the processor, if it was atleast 150 mhz faster, then it would have been ok to run the system.

I wouldn't try the 120 gig disk as the BIOS of your system may not recognize it and this will lead to more headaches. If the above suggestions did not work, try purchasing a 2nd hand disk of similar size from a local computer fair for ~$10 - $20 and try this disk.

Just Joined!
    the smallest i have off hand is a 40gb, is that also to large?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast